British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Royal Navy and Royal Marines (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   University Royal Naval Unit Shoulder Titles (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=83368)

sailorbear 20-02-21 05:41 PM

University Royal Naval Unit Shoulder Titles

1 Attachment(s)
My modest collection of URNU shoulder titles, anyone know of any others?

Regards

Tony

engr9266 20-02-21 07:57 PM

I have and only seen the same 4 titles.
jerry

Guzzman 21-02-21 07:50 PM

University Royal Naval Unit Shoulder Titles

Like you I have only seen the four titles shown above.

The first URNU was founded in 1965 in Abedeen. The success of the organisation resulted in 15 URNUs being established throughout the UK.

I wonder if these other units are attached to the four units whose shoulder titles are shown? They are all on the coast and therefore where their training craft are kept. URNU units at, for example, Oxford or Cambridge are obviously miles from the sea, so they could be linked with Southampton. It would certainly make sense .

Pete

Guzzman 21-02-21 08:10 PM

I think I've found the answer!

The first four URNUs were Aberdeen (1965, but which relocated to Edinburgh in 1968), Glasgow and Strathclyde (1972), Liverpool (1972) and Southampton (1972). These are the four units represented by the shoulder flashes. The next unit to be founded was Birmingham in 1984. The most recent was Devon in 2017. There are now 15 URNUs and all but Devon have their own dedicated training vessel.

Only the first four units seem to have had shoulder titles. None seem to have been issued to units after the first four. I have been unable to confirm if they are still worn but it seems unlikely or more would be found by collectors.

Pete

sailorbear 21-02-21 10:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Guzzman (Post 539615)
I think I've found the answer!

The first four URNUs were Aberdeen (1965, but which relocated to Edinburgh in 1968), Glasgow and Strathclyde (1972), Liverpool (1972) and Southampton (1972). These are the four units represented by the shoulder flashes. The next unit to be founded was Birmingham in 1984. The most recent was Devon in 2017. There are now 15 URNUs and all but Devon have their own dedicated training vessel.

Only the first four units seem to have had shoulder titles. None seem to have been issued to units after the first four. I have been unable to confirm if they are still worn but it seems unlikely or more would be found by collectors.

Pete

Cheers Pete, I think they don't wear anything now, except on jumpers and shirts where they wear an URNU shoulder title, I have a pic somewhere, when I find it I'll post it!

Tony

sailorbear 21-02-21 10:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by engr9266 (Post 539449)
I have and only seen the same 4 titles.
jerry

Me too but always hopeful there's something else out there?