British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Royal Navy and Royal Marines (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Royal Band Questions? (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=83364)

sailorbear 20-02-21 04:47 PM

Royal Band Questions?

1 Attachment(s)
Hi all, Following on from my post on Royal Yacht shoulder titles, I have some questions, that hopefully someone can answer on Royal Band shoulder titles?

Firstly, exactly what is the Royal Band, what is their main purpose and where are they based? are they all Roya Marines Band Service or do they have Royal Navy musicians?

The blue on white title is worn on the stone shirt (it's where I got this one from) but is it worn on any other uniform?

Is there a Gold on Green for RM Lovat dress, as there was for the Royal Yacht titles?

The Gold on Navy Blue title, is it for RM Blue's or is it a title for RN Mess Dress, Is there a larger Gold bullion title for RM blues dress?

Regards

Tony

engr9266 20-02-21 08:03 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I have these and it was my belief that they were worn by the Royal Yacht band.
Jerry

Restrikes-ok 21-02-21 12:58 AM

So as i understand it when the R Y Britannia band finished when the ship decommissioned, the RM Portsmouth band took the title the Royal Band.

Guzzman 21-02-21 07:00 PM

Royal Band Questions?

When HMY Britannia was decomissioned in 1997, the 'Royal Yacht' title used by the RM musicians that formed the Royal Yacht band, was replaced with 'Royal Band'. Unlike the 'Royal Yacht' title, the 'Royal Band' title is worn by all officers, NCOs and other ranks including buglers.

Pete

Guzzman 21-02-21 07:14 PM

Sorry! I forgot your other questions!

The 'Royal Band' is based at Portsmouth and consists of Royal Marine musicians.

There are no Royal Navy musicians as such. All the musicians in the Royal Navys official bands are marines.

However, there are a number of Volunteer Bands at various naval establishments and on board some of the larger ships. As their name suggests the bands are made up of volunteers. In shore establishments these can be made up of serving naval personnel (officers and ratings), MOD Police and civilians. The RN personnel and the MOD Police wear their own uniforms and the civilians wear a special uniform based upon naval uniform. They also wear their own band insignia.

I don't think that there is a gold-on-green 'Royal Band' title for wear on Lovats. I think they use one of the 'ordinary' titles. But I may be wrong on that and I'm sure someone will correct me if I am!

As there are no members of the Royal Navy in the Royal Band the gold on blue title is not worn on RN Mess Dress but only by Royal Marines.

Pete

grey_green_acorn 21-02-21 07:20 PM

1 Attachment(s)
From rmhistorical.com

I have a example of the Lovats title and own the brassard which is also illustrated in ‘Distinctions’, acquired from Mark Phillips.

Tim

Guzzman 21-02-21 08:32 PM

There you go! Thanks Tim!

The Lovat badge is the only one I haven't got and I haven't seen one anywhere!

Thanks again.

Pete

sailorbear 21-02-21 10:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Guzzman (Post 539601)
Sorry! I forgot your other questions!

The 'Royal Band' is based at Portsmouth and consists of Royal Marine musicians.

There are no Royal Navy musicians as such. All the musicians in the Royal Navys official bands are marines.

However, there are a number of Volunteer Bands at various naval establishments and on board some of the larger ships. As their name suggests the bands are made up of volunteers. In shore establishments these can be made up of serving naval personnel (officers and ratings), MOD Police and civilians. The RN personnel and the MOD Police wear their own uniforms and the civilians wear a special uniform based upon naval uniform. They also wear their own band insignia.

I don't think that there is a gold-on-green 'Royal Band' title for wear on Lovats. I think they use one of the 'ordinary' titles. But I may be wrong on that and I'm sure someone will correct me if I am!

As there are no members of the Royal Navy in the Royal Band the gold on blue title is not worn on RN Mess Dress but only by Royal Marines.

Pete

Cheers Pete.

sailorbear 21-02-21 10:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by grey_green_acorn (Post 539603)
From rmhistorical.com

Tim

Fantastic, Cheers Tim.