British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Topics (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=56)
-   -   todays pick ups (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=72095)

badgecollector 09-02-19 12:43 PM

todays pick ups

5 Attachment(s)
hi all
went scrounging today at a few favourite haunts and found this little lot.
pretty happy with the haul and really love the postcard
bc

leigh kitchen 09-02-19 12:53 PM

I like the Interpretor badge.

badgecollector 09-02-19 01:13 PM

thanks Leigh
yeah, found this today in a jewelry cabinet in an antique shop listed unknown pharaohs head broach.
$18.
nice to have a win occasionally
bc

manchesters 09-02-19 01:22 PM

see this recent thread which will be of interest to you.

https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/fo...ad.php?t=71983

regards

manchesters 09-02-19 01:22 PM

Ooops, I see you already have.

irish 09-02-19 01:38 PM

The Preston titles and badges look interesting. Would the titles be considered mid 50’s era, or say pre 1960?

leigh kitchen 09-02-19 02:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by badgecollector (Post 468277)
thanks Leigh
yeah, found this today in a jewelry cabinet in an antique shop listed unknown pharaohs head broach.
$18.
nice to have a win occasionally
bc

Back in the 1920's Egyptian themed jewelry was a popular fad, thanks to Howard Carter and King Tut's pyramid and the like, sphinx brooches and neck pendants including cheap brass ones. Singer produced sewing machines decorated with sphinx transfers.
The cheap quality jewelry, the sewing machines, they were still quite easily found in junk shops in the UK 20-25 years ago.

badgecollector 09-02-19 08:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by irish (Post 468280)
The Preston titles and badges look interesting. Would the titles be considered mid 50’s era, or say pre 1960?

Hi Irish
So hard to date the cadet badges.
My thoughts would be 1960s but possibly a little earlier.
The school was opened in 1937. Not much info around on the cadet units but they were very popular post WW2 for a few decades. So your time line may fit.
The other thing with the cadet badges is that the design rarely changed. So it could have been worn for many years.
Bc

fairlie63 10-02-19 07:28 AM

Interesting photo bc, the guy is wearing Australian Garrison Artillery (AGA) badges as you have stated but he is wearing Permanent Force uniform. I wonder if he is one of the AGA blokes recruited to fill the vacancies in the Royal Australian Garrison Artillery (RAGA) manning details in the fixed defences after the formation of the Siege Brigade.

If so this might date the photo to mid 1915-end 1916 when full dress items like the forage cap were abolished for the RAGA. Also, to volunteer for service as a reinforcement to the Siege Brigade you either had to enlist in the RAGA, or have spent a year with your militia AGA unit.

So it might put a bit of a date range on the photo.

Keith

badgecollector 10-02-19 07:45 AM

cheers keith
you are a wealth of information.
i was really pleased to pic it up. i hardly ever see these types of pics/cards anymore
appreciate your comments
bc

fairlie63 11-02-19 09:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by badgecollector (Post 468371)
cheers keith
you are a wealth of information.
i was really pleased to pic it up. i hardly ever see these types of pics/cards anymore
appreciate your comments
bc

I might have to wipe the egg off my face I'm afraid bc, saw a postcard on our favourite on-line auction site that also had AGA badges being worn on similar uniform so I had a look through the history of the Tasmanian artillery published a few years ago and sure enough there appear to be AGA blokes wearing the same uniform.

Keith

badgecollector 11-02-19 11:53 AM

lololol
not like you keith, but appreciate the honesty lololol
cheers mate
bc