British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Formation Signs and Patches (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=67)
-   -   Royal Anglian Bn TRFs (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=74814)

Badger44 03-08-19 09:05 PM

Royal Anglian Bn TRFs

2 Attachment(s)
I attach scans of two TRFs which I have been told are for the 1st and 3rd Bns of the Regt. Are these worn currently? Is there a similar one for the 2nd Bn, and if so can anyone show a picture of it? Does anyone know the year these were brought into use, please?
I look forward to any comments.

Mike_2817 03-08-19 09:56 PM

2nd Battalion are 'The Poachers'

grey_green_acorn 03-08-19 10:11 PM

1 Attachment(s)
The Poachers to complete the set. But were they / are they worn?

Tim

norfolk regt man 04-08-19 05:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by grey_green_acorn (Post 485316)
The Poachers to complete the set. But were they / are they worn?

Tim

Don’t think so.

oc14 04-08-19 07:24 AM

Think that they are “morale patches” or attached to things like rucksacks along with “zap patches”
PL

mike_vee 04-08-19 07:33 AM

Battalion nicknames

The battalion nicknames are as follows:

The Vikings - 1st Battalion

The nickname stems from the late 1960s when the Commanding Officer of the 1st Battalion, The 1st East Anglian Regiment Lt Col A F Campbell, MC said it described the Nordic influence on the counties of Norfolk and Suffolk. The nickname stuck, was adopted by the 1st Battalion on formation, and is still widely used today.

The Poachers - 2nd Battalion

This stems from the Regimental March, The Lincolnshire Poacher, of one of their predecessors, the Royal Lincolnshire Regiment.

The Steelbacks - 3rd Battalion

This was the nickname of the 58th Regiment of Foot, later the 2nd Battalion the Northamptonshire Regiment. It stems from Private Hovenden of the 58th being described as a 'Steelback' after a flogging in 1813.

Badger44 04-08-19 08:05 AM

Many thanks for the information, gentlemen. I had my doubts that they are actually TRFs worn on blanking plates on uniform. Thanks also for the illustration of the one for the 2nd Bn. Although not within the scope of what I normally collect, I will keep them and describe them as morale patches.

Expat Yeoman 04-08-19 08:16 AM

I have them in my notes as unofficial but right now can't find the source where I found that.

They do follow the pattern of badges actually worn - IWM have an example on their register of 1st Bn shoulder title, "VIKINGS" in yellow on black felt, that was won on brassard with separate Minden badge and Union Jack when in Bosnia in 1995, and it looks like the 2nd Bn did the same in '97. But these are multi part not a single item like the one you show.

Silvermans / Cadet Direct are offering them today as a patch "designed to be attached to Virtus / Osprey ID panels and UBAC shirts"; other sellers as moral (sic) patches. So possibly they are worn but likely without formal approval.

leigh kitchen 04-08-19 08:24 AM

The 5th Bn Royal Anglians based in London Road, Peterborough, Cambridgeshire carried 'The Steelbacks" name until they became a RLC unit.
A local author on military matters was unamused by the RLC calling themselves "The Steelbacks", I don't know how long the nickname continued or whether it really took a hold with the RLC.

grey_green_acorn 04-08-19 08:33 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Here is the brassard worn by 1 R Anglian in Bosnia. Image from Essex County Museum, Chelmsford.

Tim

grey_green_acorn 04-08-19 08:36 AM

1 Attachment(s)
The 2 R Anglian "THE POACHERS" title also worn on a brassard.

Tim

49lassiepen 04-08-19 09:41 AM

The regiment magazine no 19 THE ROYAL ANGLIAN REGIMENT has Photo's of 1st [1994/95 ] and 2nd battalion brassards as worn in Bosnia
The poachers have the 7th armoured brigade formation sign under the U.N badge
David

crest-insignia 04-08-19 09:51 AM

Morning Chaps + Chapesse’s
We had the 1st & 2nd Battalion versions made about 6-8 years ago, as a purely unofficial ‘morale’ patch.

As with all good ideas, they have been copied by other sellers, and the ‘steelbacks’ version added.

At the time, I considered having the ‘Pompadours’ done as well, but decided against it as, if you start doing ‘obsolete’ units, where do you call a halt?
T

grey_green_acorn 04-08-19 06:16 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Another 1 R ANGLIAN brassard with Minden flash and UN sign

Tim

Anjoucollector 06-08-19 06:36 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Good evening,

the title was worn in Bosnia with the blue beret.

Laurent