British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Royal Navy and Royal Marines (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   VICTORIAN era RN cap, rank ,& rate badges/insignia (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=53732)

RCN 15-05-16 02:05 PM

VICTORIAN era RN cap, rank ,& rate badges/insignia

6 Attachment(s)
Following on from kingsley's recent topic on his Victorian RN Officer's cap badge, I thought it might be interesting to commence a Victorian era topic on badges & insignia of the RN during this interesting period.

These Victorian RN badges/insignia seem to be quite rare in our time. I know I have been collecting RN badges for well on 50 years plus now & I only have a very few Victorian examples in my large badge collection. I consider that I am very fortunate in having the fine examples I do have! I would have thought that when one considers the size of the crews that manned the later Victorian period Ironclad turret & battleships more of their insignia would have survived to this day.

In any event I hope this might bring some more RN Victorian period insignia out of collection drawers!

& I will kick it of with some of those badges I showed in kingsley's topic....

Shown is a VR RN Officer's CIVIL Branch cap badge. RN Civil branch officers consisted of Surgeons, Engineers, Paymasters, & Naval Instructors.
Their Civil branch cap badges differed from the MILITARY branch in that they were all gold embroidery - ie: no silver wire embroidery & a gold metal anchor in the cap badge.

& a photo of a Paymaster wearing the Civil branch cap badge......

RCN Bryan

RCN 15-05-16 02:18 PM

VICTORIAN era RN cap, rank ,& rate badges/insignia

3 Attachment(s)
A MILITARY branch Chief Petty Officer's (CPO) cap badge.

The RN Military branch cap badges consisted of both gold & silver wire embroidery. The central anchor was also in silver.

& I have att'd a photo of a Victorian CPO wearing this cap badge.

Bryan

RCN 15-05-16 02:28 PM

VICTORIAN era RN cap, rank, & rate badges/insignia

1 Attachment(s)
A CIVIL branch Chief Petty Officer's (CPO) cap badge.
Civil cap badges badges entirely embroidered in gold, with a gold central anchor.

The Civil branch for ratings consisted of Cooks, Stewards, Writers, Sick Berth Attendants, Artisans (Plumbers, Coopers, Tinsmiths, Coppersmiths, Painters & other tradesmen) Bandsmen & Musicians, Schoolmasters, Tailors, ERA's etc.

Bryan

alco 22-05-16 10:32 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Hello all,

Following recent invitation :
''In any event I hope this might bring some more RN Victorian period insignia out of collection drawers!''

Here are some extractions of my british drawer - specifically the victorian corner :

Beginning with the cornerstone of all navy badges ;

Victorian crown alone from 1846-1856 >> size are 48x40 mm
for comparison, an example from the NATIONAL MARITIME MUSEUM collection;

alco 22-05-16 10:40 AM

1 Attachment(s)
.../...

Next one is the pattern with laurel leaves from 1856-1870 or 1891-1901

without the circle around the Anchor ...

Due to the perfect conservation of the embroidery, this example should be the later period 1891 ...

alco 22-05-16 10:52 AM

3 Attachment(s)
.../...

Last one I own for the Royal Navy is this impressive pattern from 1870-1891 :

to note this is the badge presented on the cover of Mr Coleman book vol.1 after some Photoshop 'lifting' improvements ... !

(I would be interested to know where this gentleman have found the raw material to produce his catalog ... ?)

alco 22-05-16 10:58 AM

2 Attachment(s)
.../...

another examples of victorian crowns are shown with these badges for Customs and Royal Indian Navy :

- the Customs badge has two crowns !
- the indian badge has to be closely examined for confirmation of the crown pattern ....

alco 22-05-16 11:04 AM

2 Attachment(s)
.../...

Last but not least, these Merchant Marine badges for WHITE STAR and CUNARD .........

kingsley 23-05-16 06:29 AM

As you say, where have they all gone? Great to see all these excellent pictures. Many thanks.

alco 30-05-16 03:27 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Hell'O

To complete the scope on victorian era Navy, here are some pics from an uniform regulation :

Unfortunately, I do not own this booklet and I have no reference (date, etc ...)
As I know the owner, I will try to get more infos ....