British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   It's a Mystery -Unknown Insignia for Identification (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Why so valuable? (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=88105)

denis pannett 16-01-22 10:39 AM

Why so valuable?

1 Attachment(s)
I am mystified by this badge which sold on ebay yesterday which went for £460. Can any member please tell me why it is so valuable?

grey_green_acorn 16-01-22 10:42 AM

Link

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/203782002...sAAOSwiMVh1cDI

Tim

altcar73 16-01-22 12:01 PM

I know nothing of military badges. That said, I feel the need to ask a question. Why manufacture a solid silver hallmarked badge and then plate it with gilt?

Presumably the gilt finish must have been applied after the badge had been assayed. I say that because had it been applied before, I suspect that it would have been unable to be hallmarked. Or am I wrong?

Dave.

mike_vee 16-01-22 12:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by altcar73 (Post 570211)
I know nothing of military badges. That said, I feel the need to ask a question. Why manufacture a solid silver hallmarked badge and then plate it with gilt?

Presumably the gilt finish must have been applied after the badge had been assayed. I say that because had it been applied before, I suspect that it would have been unable to be hallmarked. Or am I wrong?

Dave.

I have a Royal British Legion "Golden Award" badge which is silver gilt , I assume it was cheaper to have a 'gilt' badge than a 9ct Gold one.

From Assay Office :
  • The term ‘Silver gilt’ may be used to describe gold plated silver, providing a specific gold fineness is not applied as part of the description e.g. silver gilt ring.
  • The gold plated layer must be of fineness of at least 375 parts per thousand and should not exceed 2 microns in thickness.

manchesters 16-01-22 01:29 PM

Is it a Gold Hallmark and not silver?

regards

denis pannett 16-01-22 02:15 PM

It looks like a standard British silver hallmark with the sterling lion, Birmingham anchor and letter date z for 1924. Was there an all gilt Welsh Regt badge?

mike_vee 16-01-22 02:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by manchesters (Post 570214)
Is it a Gold Hallmark and not silver?

regards

It is a silver hallmark as it is a silver item that has been gilt/plated with gold.

GUIDANCE ON DESCRIPTION OF GOLD PLATED SILVER ARTICLES IN THE UK

1664 16-01-22 09:07 PM

[QUOTE=altcar73;570211]I know nothing of military badges. That said, I feel the need to ask a question. Why manufacture a solid silver hallmarked badge and then plate it with gilt?

Silver is harder than gold and shows detail better.

gary1666 16-01-22 10:34 PM

I would say its the 1899 date letter given the very slight flex in the letter and the solid edge shield,the 1920s shield had the shaped bottom, does that then change the reason behind the value?
Gary

49lassiepen 16-01-22 11:08 PM

self removed

BROOKIES 16-01-22 11:15 PM

If the badge is 1924 then it would be extremely rare as it has SH spelling not CH, I say that the z is for 1899.

Never seen or even heard of a h/m silver Welsh Reg cap badge so possible one off for a high ranking officer.

Ta

Jonathan

Luke H 16-01-22 11:27 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by BROOKIES (Post 570264)
If the badge is 1924 then it would be extremely rare as it has SH spelling not CH, I say that the z is for 1899.

Never seen or even heard of a h/m silver Welsh Reg cap badge so possible one off for a high ranking officer.

Ta

Jonathan

I agree with Jonathan on everything.

Never seen or heard of a badge like this so I expect for ardent silver badge collectors and Welsh Regiment aficionados alike it was a very rare, perhaps almost unique, must have.

Style of the Z also matches 1899 better IMO.

A lovely piece.

GriffMJ 16-01-22 11:33 PM

...its the 1899 mark.

Alex Rice 17-01-22 06:58 AM

Interesting discussion, I wouldn't have touched it with a bargepole, so would love to learn more about it. I have been collecting infantry officer badges for a while now and have never seen one made like that, ie: scroll tabbed onto the feathers. I would have assumed it to be an out-and-out fake. Why make a silver badge in 2 parts, it means it was die-struck. Most silver badges are cast and a decent silversmith would have made in in one piece. Too many alarms bells for me and I would not be surprised if somebody has been ripped off.
Cheers,
Alex

mike_vee 17-01-22 07:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alex Rice (Post 570274)
Why make a silver badge in 2 parts, it means it was die-struck. Most silver badges are cast and a decent silversmith would have made in in one piece.

I would have expected a 2 part item to be hallmarked on both parts ? :confused: