British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Headdress (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=72)
-   -   Forage Cap No 1 Dress hat (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=48953)

mac mcconnell 17-10-15 08:06 AM

Forage Cap No 1 Dress hat

4 Attachment(s)
Well from the splendour of the Czapka to the forage cap heres a QRL officers dress cap. Its the same colours and design as the 16/5th Lancers apart from the Motto. Often mistaken at range for military police can be handy sometimes not so at others the main difference being the piping and the quartering to show the 4 points of the Lance cap also notice the piping is thicker than on the OR,S version I will post side by side when I find my old one.
I would like to see some of the much earlier Lancer forage caps and other Regiments as well.

Mac

GriffMJ 17-10-15 08:52 AM

S/P Motto with loops E/W Mac? Its certainly the LBB&Co/TKS Motto.

2747andy 17-10-15 09:49 AM

Mac,
very nice, it is however a Forage Cap the SD Cap being Khaki, even though it is worn with Service Dress!

Best Regards

Andy

mac mcconnell 17-10-15 11:54 AM

Forage Cap

Please can a moderator change the title to Forage cap for this thread.

Motto,s on a slider Griff most the guys use the slider as the Cap has the hole ready made.

Thanks Andy for the heads up.

Mac

oc14 17-10-15 12:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2747andy (Post 327508)
Mac,
very nice, it is however a Forage Cap the SD Cap being Khaki, even though it is worn with Service Dress!

Best Regards

Andy

In the guards it may be a forage cap, the rest of us call it a number one dress hat despite the fact that it is more commoy worn with number two dress! In addition the whole thing is confused by some units referring to a forage cap when they are referring to what we Light Infantrymen call a sidehat!
Horses for courses and all that !
PL

2747andy 17-10-15 01:11 PM

Paul,
not wanting to split hairs, but I will lol! :D

No1 Dress is just what it says on the tin, an OOD. :D It's a nice hat whatever you call it!

Hope all is well!

Andy

mac mcconnell 17-10-15 01:48 PM

Then theres cerimonial

Hi Andy not wanting to lower the tone but We always referred to them as Tw**t hats .
We also called the forage cap the No2 dress hat as that was what it was mostly worn with.

No1 would be Ceremonial there for Czapka I would have thought the Guards Bear skin would be No1, but I guess ceremonials are a different matter. When did the everyday Lancer uniform or Guards uniforms become Ceremonial ?.Was there an official date or was it just fazed out after WWI

Mac

2747andy 17-10-15 02:15 PM

Mac,
I think it was the Boer War which sparked the changed from Full Dress to Drab (Khaki)..

No1 Dress for the Household Division is "Blues" and the Ceremonial Bearskin and Tunic/Blue Grey Greatcoat is termed HSC (Home Service Clothing).

Andy

mac mcconnell 17-10-15 02:56 PM

how many

Andy
bet this can grow arms and legs with all the different terms. uniforms are generally numbered you would have thought the numbers would correspond to the Headdress ? the plot thickens

Mac