British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Sweetheart, Veteran and other Lapel Badges. (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=25)
-   -   Unusual British Legion badge (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=72946)

Shiny 27-03-19 07:29 AM

Unusual British Legion badge

2 Attachment(s)
Hi All,

I got this British Legion badge yesterday and was wondering if anyone had come across one before.

It is the older style badge but has a pin fitting rather than the usual horseshoe you would expect.

Michael

leigh kitchen 27-03-19 07:33 AM

Would the pin fitting indicate that the badge is for wear by a female?

Shiny 27-03-19 07:45 AM

Morning Leigh,

That was my thoughts as well but I'm not sure when women could be members of the main section (if that's the right term) as opposed to the womens section.

I'm thinking possibly from day 1 as they served as well but I'm sure that won't have been the thinking at the time.

Michael

mike_vee 27-03-19 09:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shiny (Post 473537)
Morning Leigh,

That was my thoughts as well but I'm not sure when women could be members of the main section (if that's the right term) as opposed to the womens section.

I'm thinking possibly from day 1 as they served as well but I'm sure that won't have been the thinking at the time.

Michael

Hi Michael

Found this on RBLWS website ;

"At a Legion Conference in July 1922, a further Resolution was proposed that the Constitution be amended to allow ex-Servicewomen to be admitted to ordinary membership of the Legion on equal terms with the men. As a result, the world ‘Auxiliary’ was amended to 'Section' and thus the British Legion ‘Women’s Section’ was born. A further amendment to the Bye-Laws accepted that ex-Servicewomen could be members of a British Legion Branch as well as a Women’s Section Branch. "

engr9266 27-03-19 09:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shiny (Post 473534)
Hi All,

I got this British Legion badge yesterday and was wondering if anyone had come across one before.

It is the older style badge but has a pin fitting rather than the usual horseshoe you would expect.

Michael

Michael, I have a couple of this version in my collection.
Jerry

engr9266 27-03-19 09:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mike_vee (Post 473548)
Hi Michael

Found this on RBLWS website ;

"At a Legion Conference in July 1922, a further Resolution was proposed that the Constitution be amended to allow ex-Servicewomen to be admitted to ordinary membership of the Legion on equal terms with the men. As a result, the world ‘Auxiliary’ was amended to 'Section' and thus the British Legion ‘Women’s Section’ was born. A further amendment to the Bye-Laws accepted that ex-Servicewomen could be members of a British Legion Branch as well as a Women’s Section Branch. "

I would have thought that they would still wear the RBL Women's section badge.
As we know sexism was quite strong back then and I would think that a woman would not be allowed to wear a Man's badge at any time and I am sure that a Lady would be proud to wear her Women's section badge.
Just my thought.
Jerry

mike_vee 27-03-19 09:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by engr9266 (Post 473553)
I would have thought that they would still wear the RBL Women's section badge.
As we know sexism was quite strong back then and I would think that a woman would not be allowed to wear a Man's badge at any time and I am sure that a Lady would be proud to wear her Women's section badge.
Just my thought.
Jerry

I would have thought the same but wonder who/why introduced the amendment that women could be members of a British Legion Branch as well as the Women's Section.

Damn suffragettes ! :D

PS , have seen badges with both vertical and horizontal pin fittings.

Shiny 27-03-19 06:22 PM

Thanks for the help everyone, there's a lot of interesting information there.

It sounds like it could date anywhere from 1922 to 1971. It's still not one I've seen before though so it will make a nice addition to my RBL collection.

Michael

dumdum 28-03-19 02:27 AM

Hi

Although many thousands of miles from "Blighty" I've got a few BL badges but have not seen this one before. I would suggest that the pin-back could have been introduced at a time when suits with a buttonhole slit ceased to be "in fashion".

I've picked up several h/m gold badges including one that has been engraved with an inscription but can anyone explain a silver, not plated BL badge? It's not h/m but has the marking "STERLING" on the reverse.

It was a spec buy from eBay and I half expected it to be plated.

mike_vee 28-03-19 12:51 PM

I have just realised that I have 2 Honorary British Legion badges , one is the button hole/horseshoe fitting and the other is the pin/brooch type.

Is it possible that that the change was introduced as an "austerity" measure during WW2 ? The companies that made the badges were already set up to produce the pin/brooch fittings , as used for Women's Section items, and any reduction in metal use would be seen as contributing to the war effort.

mike_vee 10-04-19 10:48 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Recently got this small "pendant" , it looks like a lapel stick-pin that has been converted into a pendant.

Were stick-pins ever made with a 'loop' on top ?

dumdum 11-04-19 12:47 AM

Looks like what I've heard called a "dangler".

It has been specially made like this as the "loop" has not been added but cut out from the "flan" of the struck badge.

Interesting that it has the maker's back stamp.

mike_vee 11-04-19 08:25 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Thanks for the info , one of the stick-pins I have was made by the same company.

mike_vee 12-05-19 09:35 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Shiny (Post 473600)
Thanks for the help everyone, there's a lot of interesting information there.

It sounds like it could date anywhere from 1922 to 1971. It's still not one I've seen before though so it will make a nice addition to my RBL collection.

Michael

While 'trying' to sort out my BL badges I did a bit of basic research and came across some info that may help.

"A scarce early large sized gilt and enamel 'British Legion membership badge, the reverse with maker’s details "Birmingham Medal Co" and Registered Design and Patent Number "684409" (1921)". See photos.

I have recently acquired a large (J.R Gaunt) badge with the same Rd.Number but with a horizontal pin plus small versions (no makers details or number) , one with horizontal and one with vertical pins.

dumdum 12-05-19 10:28 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Hi

I've assembled a small group of BL badges including a couple of the early large gold ones (one of which is engraved with a presentation inscription to an MC winner).

One that surfaced a year or two back was a large silver member's badge. No hallmark but clearly marked "STERLING".

OK, so the 9ct is obviously for outstanding service to the BL but the silver one? Thoughts?

I've posted this British Legion(?) pic before but it would be nice to know more about it.

Answers on a postcard.....