British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Reproductions, Restrikes, Fakes, Forgeries, and Copies (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   4th Queens Own Hussars (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=91746)

denis pannett 28-11-22 03:11 PM

4th Queens Own Hussars

2 Attachment(s)
My 5th doubtful, should there be an apostrophe before the S of Queens? My other ones have loops and no apostrophe? Slider looks good with crimp some way down it. All comments welcome. Thanks Denis

Luke H 28-11-22 03:30 PM

If you don’t want it please send it to me.

denis pannett 28-11-22 03:36 PM

Thanks Luke, I take it from that that you think it is good? Was it just the later ones with sliders that had apostrophes in Queens? Regards Denis

Luke H 28-11-22 10:08 PM

I’d go further and say I’m sure it’s good.

I’m not quite sure I follow sorry? Do you have a picture of the ‘earlier ones’ you think are different?

denis pannett 29-11-22 10:55 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Luke H (Post 592091)
I’d go further and say I’m sure it’s good.

I’m not quite sure I follow sorry? Do you have a picture of the ‘earlier ones’ you think are different?

Attached photos Luke and the slider one has QUEEN'S whereas the lugged is just QUEENS and a different die. I also have the mint one from the White Collection which is identical to the lugged one I have shown. Denis

Luke H 29-11-22 11:57 AM

The badge on the right is fake.

I have seen what I regard as a genuine OSD sans apostrophe.

denis pannett 29-11-22 12:42 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Luke H (Post 592108)
The badge on the right is fake.

I have seen what I regard as a genuine OSD sans apostrophe.

Interesting Luke, I have now looked more carefully at both my lugged versions and they are slightly different, in crown size particularly. I attach photos of my White Collection one from 1902? still with it's original finish next to the one you think is a fake and looking at the lugs, I now suspect you are right though sadly I had no doubts about it before! Incidentally, both are the same size, just photo distortion. Denis

Luke H 29-11-22 04:15 PM

I like the badge on the right, it looks very similar to the OSD die.

Drmiggy 29-11-22 06:20 PM

1 Attachment(s)
These are my ones Denis

denis pannett 29-11-22 09:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Drmiggy (Post 592135)
These are my ones Denis

Very nice DRMIGGY, very similar to mine with slider and the apostrophe I think. Interesting that the slider version seems more common than the lugged one which surprises me considering the date.
Regards Denis

Drmiggy 30-11-22 07:18 AM

The QVC version has no apostrophe, so is it possible that the first KC ones had none and the later ones did. I know the scroll ones came later and the non scroll ones very only in service a short time, but was there 2 versions?

Drmiggy 30-11-22 05:14 PM

4 Attachment(s)
I have attached a few different crowned ones and you can see the apostrophe on the latest 3, but not on the QVC one.

I have no idea why some badges are on their side, all 4 were loaded the same way?