British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Anodised Aluminium Badges (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=82)
-   -   Ulster Defence Regiment (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=72897)

Frank Kelley 23-03-19 05:17 PM

Ulster Defence Regiment

Was the cap badge ever produced with a J R Gaunt London slider?

engr9266 23-03-19 06:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frank Kelley (Post 473185)
Was the cap badge ever produced with a J R Gaunt London slider?

It is shown in the hagwalter _ Anodised Aluminium Badges
..and the "hagwalther " project. but does not define it down to LONDON, BIRMINGHAM, & SONS etc
Jerry

engr9266 23-03-19 07:10 PM

I have just gone through the A/A collection formerly owned by Chris Cunniffe on his old web site for the UDR and cannot find a Gaunt London, other makers yes but NOT Gaunt London.
If you have one it could be quite a rare badge.

Jerry

Gurkha 24-03-19 10:14 AM

The one I've got is marked J R Gaunt B,ham

Steve

bess55 24-03-19 11:57 AM

I'm away from home at present and will check my UDR set when back. However as the Regt began in 1970 it may be the case that this is too late for a Gaunt London mark to have been used on the anodised aluminium cap badges.

Regards all

Bess

engr9266 24-03-19 01:31 PM

Known makers of the UDR badge are:-
JR GAUNT B'HAM
TKS
FIRMIN
FIRMIN . LONDON
MARPLES & BEASLEY BIRMINGHAM
Wm DOWLER B'HAM
No maker

bess55 24-03-19 04:41 PM

There is also a made black anodised aluminium example with an unmarked slider

bess55 25-03-19 06:03 PM

In addition to the examples quoted above I also have a Dowler badge marked 'Dowler.Birmingham' on the slider. Also an example marked with the earlier Toye Kenning & Spencer mark 'TKS' within a rectangular border.

It should be noted that later examples of this cap badge were worn by the Royal Irish Regt as a beret badge (for example marked - 'fat' FIRMIN, TKS etc). I have a sealed Firmin bag containing a 'Fat' FIRMIN marked badge, with the correct NSN and named for the Ulster Defence Regt on the nomenclature. However the bag is dated 07/06/05 - 13 years after the regiment disbanded in 1992.

Regards all

Bess

Alan O 25-03-19 06:59 PM

The CO, Tim Collins got rid of the RIRISH berets. The Bn went back to Caubeens in all orders of dress and that is all they wore in 2003 (except for Kevlat helmets of course!)

Mike H 26-03-19 06:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alan O (Post 473382)
The CO, Tim Collins got rid of the RIRISH berets. The Bn went back to Caubeens in all orders of dress and that is all they wore in 2003 (except for Kevlat helmets of course!)

Thats when the lugged R.Irish badge came in in anodised. This was then later replaced by the new metal version with green between the harp strings.

Frank Kelley 26-03-19 08:35 PM

I actually quite like the look of those new ones, although, I have yet to actually see an example in the flesh!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike H (Post 473480)
Thats when the lugged R.Irish badge came in in anodised. This was then later replaced by the new metal version with green between the harp strings.

grey_green_acorn 26-03-19 08:43 PM

Royal Irish Regiment

1 Attachment(s)
Not in the flesh but
Royal Irish Regiment - Insignia, Organisational. Cap. All Ranks. Royal Irish Regiment. Bright silver with green enamel between harp strings. NSN 8455-99-272-2884

Tim

Frank Kelley 27-03-19 08:29 AM

Very nice.

Quote:

Originally Posted by grey_green_acorn (Post 473507)
Not in the flesh but
Royal Irish Regiment - Insignia, Organisational. Cap. All Ranks. Royal Irish Regiment. Bright silver with green enamel between harp strings. NSN 8455-99-272-2884

Tim

Frank Kelley 03-04-19 08:32 AM

No, I have not got one, or indeed, have ever seen one, I saw an example advertised as such, but, it turned out to be marked B'HAM and not London, the seller appears to suffer when it comes to actually being able to read.
I just wanted to know if such a badge ever existed in the first place.

Quote:

Originally Posted by engr9266 (Post 473203)
I have just gone through the A/A collection formerly owned by Chris Cunniffe on his old web site for the UDR and cannot find a Gaunt London, other makers yes but NOT Gaunt London.
If you have one it could be quite a rare badge.

Jerry

Frank Kelley 10-04-19 07:10 PM

Okay, so around what date would the Wm Dowler B'HAM marker example be from?

Quote:

Originally Posted by engr9266 (Post 473252)
Known makers of the UDR badge are:-
JR GAUNT B'HAM
TKS
FIRMIN
FIRMIN . LONDON
MARPLES & BEASLEY BIRMINGHAM
Wm DOWLER B'HAM
No maker