British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Sweetheart, Veteran and other Lapel Badges. (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=25)
-   -   Very Different Silver War Badge Variation (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3764)

sabrigade 06-10-08 04:37 PM

Very Different Silver War Badge Variation

2 Attachment(s)
Attachment 9536

Attachment 9537

I very recently acquired this badge for my collection. The obverse is very different to most of the variations and makes that have been documented. It has a very low issue number and, as such, was the third badge issued to a South African serviceman.

Unknownsoldier 06-10-08 07:47 PM

Hi,

I'd be interested in some more close-ups as personally I'm 'not a fan', TBH I think the finish is lacking (i.e. it is rather rougher than one would expect) and the reverse pin assembly is definitely aftermarket.... a nice variation, is it silver or bronze (as it looks 'bronzy' in the piccy's). But tbh I'm not 100% sure on it, anyone else care to wade in?

Welcome BTW :D

Tom

sabrigade 09-10-08 05:15 AM

Thanks for the welcome and I hope to post many more items of note as time passes. This badge was purchased at a coastal city in South Africa and has not been cleaned and/or treated for years. It is silver and this will be clearer after it has been cleaned. With regard to the post- manufacture comment, that I cannot answer. My humble opinion is that given the early number of issue of this specific badge, it could have been one of a few that were manufactured in this way. I have many badges of SA issue in my collection, including one in its case of issue, but none that even appear similar to the manufacture and specifically the backing or reverse of this specimen.

Unknownsoldier 09-10-08 07:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sabrigade (Post 24465)
Thanks for the welcome and I hope to post many more items of note as time passes. This badge was purchased at a coastal city in South Africa and has not been cleaned and/or treated for years. It is silver and this will be clearer after it has been cleaned. With regard to the post- manufacture comment, that I cannot answer. My humble opinion is that given the early number of issue of this specific badge, it could have been one of a few that were manufactured in this way. I have many badges of SA issue in my collection, including one in its case of issue, but none that even appear similar to the manufacture and specifically the backing or reverse of this specimen.

Hi,

Thanks for the reply, once cleaned it may yield yet more information, which I will be very interested in, I agree with your last comment I have seen quite a few and I've never seen anything like this one :-)

ATB,
Tom

sabrigade 12-10-08 05:15 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Attachment 9617

My wife has made an effort to clean the badge as can be seen. The patent and maker marks are now clearly visible. Any comments would be welcomed.

sabrigade 13-10-08 01:52 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Attachment 9629

The obverse that clearly indicates that the badge is silver.

sabrigade 15-10-08 01:27 PM

Hi All,

After reposting photographs and some opinions, any comments?

Traist 15-10-08 02:04 PM

Would love to know who got it. Such a low number. It is really a grand item to have picked up.

sabrigade 15-10-08 02:30 PM

I am waiting for answers from some well-known South African researchers to see if they can find something. I would also like to now where and when the badge was manufactured as it does not appear in Howard Williamson's excellent reference book as any of the known variations.

Pylon1357 15-10-08 11:56 PM

Sorry, I'm not able to offer any stunning insights into this badge. BUT I must say a very very interesting issue to be sure. My only reference for these "Class B" badges is what is contained in Robbie Johnson's book titled "Canadian War Service Badges 1914-1954"

sabrigade 16-10-08 06:35 AM

Thanks for the interest and reply. I am running out of avenues to find the detail regarding type, variation and manufacture.

SilverBadgeMan 05-05-09 08:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sabrigade (Post 24333)
Attachment 9536

Attachment 9537

It has a very low issue number and, as such, was the third badge issued to a South African serviceman.

Hi,

SWB 'SA 3' was issued to Private 387 James Meredith JONES, 3rd SAI from SA Expeditionary Force HQ, London, on 17th February 1917. Jones enlisted on 16th August 1916 and was discharged with 'Sickness' on 12th August 1916, having served overseas. If you'd like a copy of the roll page, drop me a PM. This was one of just under 500 badges (SA1 - SA474) issued to members of the South African forces who were discharged in the UK (or at least for whom the roll pages still survive at the NA).

All the best,

Ed

Traist 06-05-09 05:03 AM

Hi Ed, I see you found it. Have a grand day. Regards Andrew

sabrigade 06-05-09 05:54 PM

Hi Ed,

Thank you for ending months of speculation.

Regards,

Will

SilverBadgeMan 06-05-09 06:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sabrigade (Post 38291)
Hi Ed,

Thank you for ending months of speculation.

Regards,

Will

No problem, Will, glad to have been of some assistance. I've got your PM and will forward on a copy of the roll.

Best wishes,

Ed