British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Indian Badges (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   Frontier Force Regiment Arc Title (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=77859)

loupie1961 20-03-20 02:10 PM

Frontier Force Regiment Arc Title
 
2 Attachment(s)
A recent purchase: it's a Frontier Force Regiment Arc Title, worsted in red on black cloth: late or post-war, pre-partition? Thank you so much for your knowledge, gentlemen!

peter monahan 21-03-20 12:48 PM

Posted in error.

loupie1961 24-03-20 12:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by peter monahan (Post 503502)
Posted in error.

Well, not really: I have posted on purpose! :D

sapper533 24-03-20 01:13 PM

Looks like Pakistani manufacture to me.......I'm sorry ....we're not helping are we lol

peter monahan 25-03-20 12:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by loupie1961 (Post 503853)
Well, not really: I have posted on purpose! :D

True dat. I was going to say 'Pakistani [recently] made' but then found an example of a title with a similar back - on this forum which seems to have been accepted as genuine, so I scratched what I'd written.

The honest answer is 'I don't know'. :( I have an opinion but it is not based on much evidence, so it's like a hemorrhoid: every ...... has one. ;)

cbuehler 26-03-20 12:07 AM

I have a similar one with a King's crown over the title. These, as well as other regiments, apparently date to around the time of independence and the partition of India, and for a short while thereafter.

CB

peter monahan 26-03-20 01:24 PM

CB

That would certainly be an explanation: examples of a new industry/product being produced in country where previously the insignia had been produced in the UK or under the direction of British managers. In a 'new army' it may well have been the case that a lower standard of quality was acceptable on a temporary basis.

Peter

Wmr-RHB 26-03-20 02:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cbuehler (Post 504022)
I have a similar one with a King's crown over the title. These, as well as other regiments, apparently date to around the time of independence and the partition of India, and for a short while thereafter.

CB

Depends on what one calls "a short while". Crowns would be applicable until 1956 when Pakistan became a republic. So in theory even Queen's Crowns are possible (though I never saw one used on Pakistan badges, etc.).

cbuehler 26-03-20 05:06 PM

I think all Pakistani insignia which still used the crown was discontinued around the time of Queen Elizabeth.

CB

cbuehler 26-03-20 05:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by peter monahan (Post 504067)
CB

That would certainly be an explanation: examples of a new industry/product being produced in country where previously the insignia had been produced in the UK or under the direction of British managers. In a 'new army' it may well have been the case that a lower standard of quality was acceptable on a temporary basis.

Peter

With the exception of some officer's kit and badges, all Indian Army insignia was always made in India and was to the same standard as these titles.
Cloth insignia was always hand made and even prior to independence ranged from very good to quite crude.
There were never any British managers involved to my knowledge as everything was locally procured all the way down to battalion level.
WW2 formation signs, rank insignia etc, worn by both British and Indian units were all from the same local sources with few exceptions, for example, printed 4th ID and 8th ID signs were made in England.

CB

Wmr-RHB 26-03-20 05:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cbuehler (Post 504087)
I think all Pakistani insignia which still used the crown was discontinued around the time of Queen Elizabeth.

CB

In any case, 23 March 1956 is the date they became a republic. It could be that they were decreasing usage of royal symbols already before that date. Nevertheless Queen Elizabeth II was their head of state until that date.


All times are GMT. The time now is 04:21 AM.

Powered by: vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.