British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Royal Navy and Royal Marines (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   HOWE Battalion RND (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=33674)

Nozzer 05-08-13 05:55 PM

HOWE Battalion RND

After reading Alans post and following the link, I had a rummage for this badge.

It is similar, but not quite, to the good badge in the link. It is solid and well struck, although the reverse lacks definition a little. The lugs are short and it doesn't have the Gaunt plaque.

Any opinions?

Sorry for the poor images, but the light is terrible at the moment. If it is worth it, I will take some better pictures tomorrow.

Regards,

Andy

Nozzer 06-08-13 03:11 PM

The light is a little better, so I will try one more time.

Thanks for any help,

Andy

Phil2M 06-08-13 03:27 PM

I don't know Howe I could help here, mate :rolleyes:

Phillip Herring 06-08-13 03:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phil2M (Post 222764)
I don't know Howe I could help here, mate :rolleyes:

Groan...

Phil

Rockape 07-08-13 08:26 AM

2 Attachment(s)
My first impression of this badge was it had lost the Gaunt tablet, but then looking at the Scroll font, found that it is not Gaunt made. The 'O' in the word Howe is much flatter in the Gaunt badge.

Was there another manufacturer of these badges?

Garry

sadler32 07-08-13 08:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rockape (Post 222862)
My first impression of this badge was it had lost the Gaunt tablet, but then looking at the Scroll font, found that it is not Gaunt made. The 'O' in the word Howe is much flatter in the Gaunt badge.

Was there another manufacturer of these badges?

Garry

Well spotted on the 'O' also like mine yours on the right hand sail is bridged on to the ships side in 2 places with the tip slightly bent. On Andy's it is bridged in 3 places and the tip is straight. Very possible still Gaunt made but a different die.

Goggs

Milmed 07-08-13 11:10 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Hi,
I hope you guys dont mind, I have taken the liberty of combining the obverse and reverse images of the HOWE badge in question against the Gaunt badge into single pictures to better view the differences. See pictures.

Regards
Steven

Nozzer 07-08-13 06:57 PM

Thank you for your replies (some of you anyway :p ;) )

I appreciate it very difficult to give an opinion on a picture, nothing is better than a badge in the hand.

One thing I am sure of is that my badge does NOT come from the same die as the fakes that are often encountered.

This leads me to think that my badge could be OK (one can hope and I am certainly NOT going to destroy it 'cause it aint cot a Gaunt plaque :eek: ). Or the fakers are getting better :(

Kind regards,

Andy

Phil2M 07-08-13 07:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nozzer (Post 222928)
Thank you for your replies (some of you anyway :p ;) )

I don't know howe you can say that, Andy.

I'll get my coat.

Phil

Nozzer 07-08-13 07:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phil2M (Post 222930)
I don't know howe you can say that, Andy.

I'll get my coat.

Phil

Better get mine while you're there mate :D

Phil2M 07-08-13 07:21 PM

I like the side by side merger, it makes it much easier to compare, especially on a small screen. I reckon you should hold on to yours too, Andy. Better to keep than to later regret.

Howe do I know which coat is yours, mate?

Nozzer 07-08-13 07:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phil2M (Post 222934)
I like the side by side merger, it makes it much easier to compare, especially on a small screen. I reckon you should hold on to yours too, Andy. Better to keep than to later regret.

Howe do I know which coat is yours, mate?

It's not hard to spot, I gave it to the gaunt looking bloke to look after ;)

Phil2M 07-08-13 07:25 PM

You never gave it to me!!

Nozzer 07-08-13 07:46 PM

Cheers Phil,

Of course I will keep it until something better comes along (if ever!).

Long before I joined this forum I had an Anson RND badge that had a strengthening bar, but no Gaunt plaque. I let it go as a fake because of that and now I will never know.

There is a moral here :cool:

Regards,

Andy

GriffMJ 07-08-13 07:57 PM

Just a thought.... is it a collar? Short "D" loops..... what are the dimensions compared to the longer "O" looped cap badge (with the Gaunt tablet)? Is it a bit smaller in size?