British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   It's a Mystery -Unknown Insignia for Identification (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Unusual Royal Irish Regiment WW1 Period Cap Badge Information Sought ! (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=87174)

oc14 04-11-21 12:55 PM

Unusual Royal Irish Regiment WW1 Period Cap Badge Information Sought !

3 Attachment(s)
A WW1 period Royal Irish regiment cap badge on a slider...HOWEVER much smaller than standard size cap badge (£1 coin for size comparison) any one any ideas ? Never seen another one this size . Will be offered for sale once identified.

TIA

Paul

cbuehler 04-11-21 04:01 PM

Certainly nothing that I have ever seen. I very much doubt it to be anything worn by the regiment, more likely something for civilian use. It is cast, not of the best quality.

CB

KLR 05-11-21 08:00 AM

I found two (blackened) badges – another query for John M ! Yes, very odd.

Pattern 1903/5849 had a 2” VS (slider) used on the SD hat (ie slouch), Forage Cap
Pattern 1907/5849A – the position of the VS was altered For Cap, FSH, moved from behind centre of Crown to top of harp.

tarabelle 05-11-21 08:52 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Could this offer an explanation ?

If they made uniforms would they have made childrens badges too ?

John Mulcahy 06-11-21 04:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KLR (Post 564094)
I found two (blackened) badges – another query for John M ! Yes, very odd.

Pattern 1903/5849 had a 2” VS (slider) used on the SD hat (ie slouch), Forage Cap
Pattern 1907/5849A – the position of the VS was altered For Cap, FSH, moved from behind centre of Crown to top of harp.

Hi Julian,

I hope all is well, it has been a while since we have chatted. The patterns above refer to the Royal Irish Rifles. The badge in the opening post is nominally the same design as that of 1902/4397A (except for size).

Regarding this badge, given its size, I do not think it is an officially issued badge. It is a curious item but I cannot provide any information on what it might be.

For what it's worth. The relevant sealing details for the authorized design are,

1896/4397, Crowned Celtic Harp with title scroll below. For FSC & later the FSH.
1902/4397A, As for SPN 4397 but with a Tudor Crown.
1911/7442, Pattern renewal & Crown junction strengthened. Sealed for forage cap & FSH.

All in GM

John

KLR 06-11-21 10:16 AM

Whoops, I'm glad you're on the ball John
best wishes
J

irishhorse 06-11-21 10:29 AM

Is the slider a later addition?

billy 06-11-21 12:54 PM

I'm thinking a Sweetheart but someone has added the slider could have been a pin there? or like you see with Royal Navy flat backed badges to be glued onto Vespa cases, cigarette cases and such?

All the best billy

mike_vee 06-11-21 01:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by billy (Post 564180)
I'm thinking a Sweetheart but someone has added the slider could have been a pin there? or like you see with Royal Navy flat backed badges to be glued onto Vespa cases, cigarette cases and such?

All the best billy

I was thinking the same but where would it have been worn ? :confused:

A lot of manufacturers/jewellers produced miniature/small badges either as sweethearts or to decorate souvenirs/trinkets.

I've seen a British Legion collar badge that has had the loops replaced with a slider and can't figure out if it was worn as a "small" cap badge as it wouldn't really work as a buttonhole badge.