British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   It's a Mystery -Unknown Insignia for Identification (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Scots badge backing (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=76908)

bess55 21-01-20 10:50 AM

Scots badge backing

1 Attachment(s)
Gents, can anyone identify this Scots badge backing please. Its 8cm square.

Many thanks

Bess

Peter Brydon 21-01-20 11:31 AM

Looks like Cameronians .

P .B.

bess55 21-01-20 12:18 PM

Thanks Peter

gb64 21-01-20 12:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bess55 (Post 497917)
Gents, can anyone identify this Scots badge backing please. Its 8cm square.

Many thanks

Bess

Hi, as Peter said, looks Cameronians,but I thought they wore the Douglas Tartan with the white lines running vertical across horizontal not diagonally? , maybe it’s just been cut wrong??

Gerard

bess55 21-01-20 01:06 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Thanks Gerard. Well I picked a couple of them up in an odds and sods box. They appear to be identical, so one would assume deliberately cut in this fashion?

mike_vee 21-01-20 01:26 PM

This looks similar :

"WW2 British Army Cameronians Scottish Rifles battledress jacket patch badge 2 BN"

bess55 21-01-20 01:37 PM

It most certainly does. The 'patches' for sale appear be a copy of an arm badge worn in WW2.

Mine I would suggest have no age at all. I automatically assumed they were a tartan badge backing, however it does seem to be like those being offered as copies of wartime battledress badges.

Learning has taken place - unless we think that they may well be a later backing for Cameronians.

Many thanks chaps.

mike_vee 21-01-20 01:41 PM

52 (Lowland Division) Insignia

mike_vee 21-01-20 01:45 PM

This lot has some nice pics of patch being worn.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Pair-WW2-...oAAOSwbEFeFrq0

mike_vee 21-01-20 02:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bess55 (Post 497931)
Learning has taken place - unless we think that they may well be a later backing for Cameronians.

T.A units ?

"However, the name of the Cameronians continued through the Territorial Army, with two companies of the 52nd Lowland Volunteers badged as Cameronians. One company was disbanded in 1992, and the other was rebadged as the King's Own Scottish Borderers in 1997.

The Cameronians (Scottish Rifles)

bess55 21-01-20 02:14 PM

Ah well, that is a bit more likely. Potentially a later (I.e. not wartime) Cameronians 'tartan patch'.

Spot on I reckon Mike. Thank you.

cbuehler 21-01-20 05:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bess55 (Post 497931)
It most certainly does. The 'patches' for sale appear be a copy of an arm badge worn in WW2.

Mine I would suggest have no age at all. I automatically assumed they were a tartan badge backing, however it does seem to be like those being offered as copies of wartime battledress badges.

Many thanks chaps.

This is the problem with these. While it is most likely they are post war, they are not really copies in a sense. It usually impossible to determine when they were made and they could well be from an old bit of tartan.
Any old bits and pieces of tartan were utilized to make these in ww2 and after. There were no issues of specifically made tartan patches for this purpose until more recent times, as for TOS backings etc.

CB

CB

Snowdrop 68 21-01-20 05:06 PM

Just a thought, could this possibly be a Lamont tartan backing for the old 125 Ration Sqn RLC before amalgamation into the Scottish Transport Regiment.

Bill

tuckerf 22-01-20 07:24 AM

Sorry I cannot remember where I got the id from but I have it as 132 (Cameronians Scottish Rifles) & 455 LAA Regt RA TA in my records.

Regards Glenn.

bess55 22-01-20 07:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snowdrop 68 (Post 497952)
Just a thought, could this possibly be a Lamont tartan backing for the old 125 Ration Sqn RLC before amalgamation into the Scottish Transport Regiment.

Bill

Thank you Bill, I'll check it out.