British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Reproductions, Restrikes, Fakes, Forgeries, and Copies (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Airborne, Para and ATS (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=60998)

Peter Brydon 02-04-17 11:37 AM

Airborne, Para and ATS

2 Attachment(s)
Just acquired the attached this morning and will be selling if they are right ( will consider reasonable offers ).

I am pretty sure the two ATS cloth titles are right.

Any ideas or thoughts on the printed Para badge on the red, blue and green backing ?

Any thoughts please on the printed Airborne cloth badges.

Any help much appreciated.

Thanks

P.B.

engr9266 02-04-17 12:30 PM

Peter, I have doubts about the A.T.S cloth titles with green border and I believe this is for The ARMY TECNICAL SCHOOL. I have asked about this before on the forum but have not received a definite answer. The story I have been told is that the school was being "confused" with the Women's Aux Service so the title was changed to read in full, again cannot confirm this story.
I have only seen ATS written/printed in full. The red title I believe is made up.

Jerry.

Peter Brydon 02-04-17 12:41 PM

Thanks Jerry,

I had presumed as it came with the other ATS red/yellow title with the full name that it was also Auxiliary Territorial Service but I am not unhappy if it is an Army Technical School item. Both cloth titles are very well made and it is disappointing if one or both are duds.

Regards

Peter

ianh67military 02-04-17 12:46 PM

The Para one is a sports vest badge or "colours" with the colours of 1, 2 and 3 Para shown. Yes, I would be interested. PM inbound.

Ian H

Staffsyeoman 02-04-17 01:34 PM

For the ATS badges, I have a disquieting feeling that they might be modern copies originating from the Indian subcontinent.

jeep 02-04-17 02:58 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Gents. As far as I can ascertain, there were only ever four titles worn in the apprentice system. BTS (Boys Technical School - up to 1939), ATS (Army Technical School (Boys) - 1939 to 1946), AAS (Army Apprentices School - 1946 to 1966). Thereafter the schools were called collages and apprentices wore their 'sponsor' corps uniform e.g. RE, R.Sigs or REME. The AAS brass titles were worn with the old SD, the cloth with SD and later BD when that was issued. So the ATS badge in question is in my opinion not related to apprentices. Happy to be proved wrong.

jeep 07-05-17 03:48 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Further to my last, I now find that there is another title to add to the four already listed. Cloth 'Army Technical School' which was worn between 1943 and 1947. See the pic. Drat it! Yet another one to look out for. If anyone can help, you know where I am!

Mike Jackson 07-05-17 04:10 PM

I have a title, Shape 1, EonF reading ARMY APPRENTICES (and its 4mm too long to have been cut down from the ........SCHOOL title). Mike

jeep 07-05-17 04:47 PM

Sorry Mike, but you've gone secure! What is 'Shape 1' and 'EonF'? I seem to remember that 'Army Apprentices' titles were in fact cut down full titles made by the camp tailor at Chepstow, totally none authorised. I've seen comment on this before, but can't find it right now. Again, an interesting subject, and again I'm always in the market for such items.

Mike Jackson 07-05-17 05:41 PM

Sorry - both from John Waring and his Identification Pamphlets: he defined 14 shapes for British cloth shoulder titles (Don Sexton defined 48 (!) shapes for Canadian titles. In his Pamphlets John (or more likely Mrs Waring) lovingly typed Embroidered on Felt - about 5,000 times - when describing a sign or title. I can't cope with that so to me it became EonF (also Ptd - printed). Mike

JerryBB 07-05-17 09:26 PM

PB.

I think the two pegasus patches are both good, there are some variation in colours in these, but both seem fine. I would be interested in one, the left hand more blue example, or perhaps both, price being asked dependant.

Peter Brydon 08-05-17 09:03 PM

PM sent

Peter

Milmed 05-01-20 06:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peter Brydon (Post 399762)
Just acquired the attached this morning and will be selling if they are right ( will consider reasonable offers ).

I am pretty sure the two ATS cloth titles are right.

Any ideas or thoughts on the printed Para badge on the red, blue and green backing ?

Any thoughts please on the printed Airborne cloth badges.

Any help much appreciated.

Thanks

P.B.

Hi Peter,
Just resurrecting your old post re. ATS shoulder title. I found the following image that appears to shed some light on your full title embroidered ATS s/t.
It appears to be genuine and of recent manufacture for members of the ATS comrades association or ex-ATS members association and worn as a s/t on the association jacket.

https://www.gettyimages.co.uk/detail...photo/92785684

Regards
Steve

Staffsyeoman 06-01-20 09:33 AM

I'll stick with my initial assessment. The ATS OCA title has some quality in the embroidery of the lettering, whereas the one shown has weak, almost single thread lettering.