British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   It's a Mystery -Unknown Insignia for Identification (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   XXVI.H brass title (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=30575)

Peter Brydon 06-03-13 04:38 PM

XXVI.H brass title

2 Attachment(s)
Picked this up this afternoon ( I will be disposing of it in due course ), I have seen an example before but cannot remember where , I have an idea it may be Indian Army but I would be grateful if someone could please positively identify.

Thanks in advance.

P.B.

GriffMJ 06-03-13 04:51 PM

Is it a WW2 Cav 26th Hussars Officers Gilt "Dress" shoulder title?

Peter Brydon 06-03-13 04:53 PM

Thanks Griff,

It would be nice if it was.

Peter

GriffMJ 06-03-13 04:54 PM

Peter

Can't be many of those in circulation :D

Peter Brydon 06-03-13 05:45 PM

Griff,

Thanks again, I looked at the illustrations before in Westlake ( Collecting Metal Shoulder Titles ) but not the text.

Looking again,Westlake for 26th Hussars gives XXVIH for officers and 26H for other ranks but only illustrates 26H.

It may have turned out to be a good afternoon !

Peter

Keith Blakeman 06-03-13 06:09 PM

Lucky you. It's illustrated in Peter Seaman's book.

Peter Brydon 06-03-13 06:13 PM

Thanks Keith,

Shows you can never have enough books.

Peter

GriffMJ 06-03-13 06:14 PM

I dont have either books :D

Keith Blakeman 06-03-13 06:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GriffMJ (Post 203797)
I dont have either books :D

I can think of a couple of members (excluding yourself Griff) who could do us all a favour and give up buying badges for a couple of weeks and invest in a few.

Peter Brydon 06-03-13 09:47 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Also now noticed that this shoulder title is mentioned in "Badge Backings and Special Embellishments...." on page 227
P.B.

peter seaman 07-03-13 03:20 PM

Good afternoon Mr Brydon,

The XXVIH shoulder title was worn by all ranks and not just offciers. In fact the officers also wore the title 26H too. It is illustrated in my book 'For Hostilities Only', on page 131,
being worn by Trooper George Reed. They do exist in theatre made cast brass and in gilding metal which are UK made die stamped.

I would be interested in adding it to my war raised cavalry collection should you wish to part with it.

All good wishes,

Peter
Peter

Peter Brydon 07-03-13 07:40 PM

Peter,
I am sorry I put the title on E bay this morning otherwise I am sure we could have come to an arrangement.

Regards

Peter

peter seaman 07-03-13 10:08 PM

Good evening Mr Brydon, Peter if I may?,

Thank you for your reply, I wasn't aware of the title until this afternoon so I would have been too late anyway. I've had a look at the title on eBay and it is a theatre made
all ranks shoulder title. It could be worn without a coloured backing or attached to the regimental coloured apaulette slip-on. I shall watch its progress.
All good wishes,

Peter

GriffMJ 07-03-13 10:27 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Peter

Have the loops been "repaired" on it..... with shanks? Or is that a verdigree build up at the base of the shanks?

Peter Brydon 08-03-13 08:28 AM

Griff,
The title has not been repaired, Peter Seamans comment about it being theatre made seems to be correct and there is verdigris on the lugs.

Peter