British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Headdress (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=72)
-   -   RMA Broderick cap (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=54132)

Irv 02-06-16 12:50 PM

RMA Broderick cap

4 Attachment(s)
Hi Guy's,

I have finally completed my new cap. Very pleased to have found a Royal Marines Artillery Brodrick to go with my RMLI cap. It didn't have the flash or badge so I had to make the flash and bought the badge at Farnham. I think it turned out well, what do you think?
I know it doesn't go with that tunic but it will do until I find the correct one.

Regards
Irv:)

Charlie 585 02-06-16 01:17 PM

Very nice Irv,

Well done and thanks for showing the finished article:D

Regards

Ry

grey_green_acorn 02-06-16 09:49 PM

Irv,

Excellent job!
Pedantic I know but it is Brodrick and named after William St John Fremantle Brodrick, 1st Earl of Middleton the Under Secretary of State for War 1900-1903.

Tim

Charlie 585 02-06-16 10:05 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Just across the Solent Irv:)

Ry

Irv 02-06-16 11:09 PM

Brodrick from now on:):)

Sunray9 03-06-16 10:45 AM

Very neat Irv ... 'Podge' would have liked that.

Irv 03-06-16 12:26 PM

What do you think about the position of the badge on my cap? Most of the original pictures show the cap badge set lower??

Regards
Irv:)

Irv 03-06-16 12:43 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Like this:)

Charlie 585 03-06-16 06:51 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Or this:):

Irv 03-06-16 07:00 PM

So the next question is how was the badge attached if the bottom lug comes out of the centre of the globe it would have to go through the caps material. Or was the lug cut off and only secured through the flash with a split pin??

Charlie 585 03-06-16 07:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Irv (Post 363072)
So the next question is how was the badge attached if the bottom lug comes out of the centre of the globe it would have to go through the caps material. Or was the lug cut off and only secured through the flash with a split pin??

I take it there is no sign of a hole through the cap that you have Irv?

Ry

Irv 03-06-16 07:08 PM

No sign at all:confused:
It would be great if there were some others on the forum to compare it with. In all the pictures I have seen the badge seems to fit flush. Also if it was only secured with the one lug you would expect to see at least one that wasn't sitting square.

Charlie 585 03-06-16 07:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Irv (Post 363076)
No sign at all:confused:
It would be great if there were some others on the forum to compare it with. In all the pictures I have seen the badge seems to fit flush. Also if it was only secured with the one lug you would expect to see at least one that wasn't sitting square.

A real head scratcher it seems then Irv. The answer will be out here somewhere.

I recall at one time there was discussion of a similar cap which if I recall correctly had input from member Chief Chum (Taff). It may be worth contacting him via PM to see if he can chip in with any clues that may help.

Good luck

Irv 03-06-16 07:51 PM

1 Attachment(s)
This is my cap when I first received it. As you can see there are no obvious holes. The loop of thread across the seem is present on both my Brodrick caps (RMLI & RMA). If, like has been noted, that the cap was always worn with the red flash why have the loop?? Looks like it would take a badge with a slider?? More questions that answers!

Alan O 03-06-16 08:09 PM

Surely the loop holds the long 1903 slider (vertical shank) and the backing cloth conceals it? No lugs involved. For the Army the slider is shortened in 1906 following the introduction of the peaked cap.