British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Cavalry, Yeomanry, Tank/RAC Badges (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   9th Armoured Division. (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=69779)

High Wood 16-09-18 08:17 PM

9th Armoured Division.

2 Attachment(s)
I have bought a small collection of "Armoured Corps" cloth badges and would like to confirm their authenticity, if indeed, they are authentic. I will start with this 9th Armoured Division formation sign.

BWEF 16-09-18 09:50 PM

I have my fathers "panda" and the thing that strikes me about it is that it is the same on both sides. There is no back to it.

Is yours like that?

High Wood 17-09-18 07:20 AM

Yes, indeed. the photographs that I have posted show both the front and the back. The small brown rectangular stain on the reverse is the remains of the sticky tape that had been used to mount it on a board.

BWEF 17-09-18 08:22 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I suspected as much but mentioned it in case you had obtained a pair.

Here it is being worn.

High Wood 17-09-18 09:14 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Thank you, I will take that as a thumbs up. Thank you for posting the photograph.

Any thoughts on this Royal Armoured Corps shoulder title regarding authenticity and date?

Mike Jackson 17-09-18 09:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by High Wood (Post 454444)
I have bought a small collection of "Armoured Corps" cloth badges and would like to confirm their authenticity, if indeed, they are authentic. I will start with this 9th Armoured Division formation sign.

It looks fine to me. Mike

High Wood 17-09-18 09:59 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike Jackson (Post 454491)
It looks fine to me. Mike

Many thanks. Do you have opinion on this 7th Armoured Brigade badge that was in the collection please?

Mike Jackson 17-09-18 10:29 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Here are some genuine examples which might be useful for the purposes of comparison. Mike.
Attachment 193933Attachment 193934

High Wood 17-09-18 11:14 AM

Thank you Mike, yours are excellent examples. Mine does look similar but appears to be a different shade of green but that may be a trick of the light. There also appears to be too much white material around the edge. However, it is the back of the badge that gives me the most concern.

Simon

Mike Jackson 17-09-18 01:50 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by High Wood (Post 454510)
Thank you Mike, yours are excellent examples. Mine does look similar but appears to be a different shade of green but that may be a trick of the light. There also appears to be too much white material around the edge. However, it is the back of the badge that gives me the most concern.

Simon

My thoughts precisely. This pair were given to me by the wearer - a Capt RA in 7 Armd Bde. The backing is white. Mike
Attachment 193959

Postwarden 20-09-18 10:47 AM

1 Attachment(s)
An unusual use of the 9th Armoured Division's panda by 613 Squadron, RAF which was at the time an Army Co-Operation Squadron and presumably supporting the 9th.

Jon

Mike Jackson 20-09-18 12:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Postwarden (Post 454740)
An unusual use of the 9th Armoured Division's panda by 613 Squadron, RAF which was at the time an Army Co-Operation Squadron and presumably supporting the 9th.

Jon

And a very nice image of an early and not very useful Mustang - before some genius fitted them with Merlin engines, resulting in an outstanding fighter aircraft.