British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Other Army Departments and Corps Badges (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Auxiliary Military Pioneer Corps Shoulder Title (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=71759)

jamesmilitaria 22-01-19 02:51 PM

Auxiliary Military Pioneer Corps Shoulder Title

2 Attachment(s)
Good day

As far as I can gather the Auxiliary Military Pioneer Corps existed from Oct 1939 when it was established from Works Labour Companies before being renamed the Pioneer Corps in Nov 1940.

If my facts are correct does this make the shoulder titles unusual?

Many thanks

oc14 22-01-19 05:50 PM

Unusual but by no means scarce. They usually sell for between £5 and £10 (on a good day)

PL

sapper533 22-01-19 08:31 PM

What has taken me many years to get hold of was the brass equivalent
Cheers
Sean

jamesmilitaria 22-01-19 08:34 PM

Thanks folks, interesting. I had no idea that so many were involved in the BEF expedition.

Eddie Parks 23-01-19 10:26 AM

Particularly the 1st Palestinian Company who went in the France virtually unarmed, came out fully armed and after being repatriated to Palestine formed the core of the Middle East Commandoes.

Mike B 24-01-19 07:44 PM

Slight clarification but Eddie raises a good point:
No.1 Palestinian Company AMPC - provided the initial cadre for No.51 (ME) Cdo when the unit, under Lt Col HJ (Kid) Cator was formed at Geniefa, Egypt on 15/10/1940.

Also recall - very simplistically - many 'Aliens' of German etc descent were interned during WW2. Some were cleared to serve in the AMPC or similar units. Some then volunteered for special service of a hazardous nature and a few found their way into 3 Troop of No.10 (Inter-Allied) Commando.

Mike

popskipa 25-01-19 12:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike B (Post 466380)
...Also recall - very simplistically - many 'Aliens' of German etc descent were interned during WW2. Some were cleared to serve in the AMPC or similar units. Some then volunteered for special service of a hazardous nature and a few found their way into 3 Troop of No.10 (Inter-Allied) Commando.

Mike

Not just 10 Commando, the “Aliens” served in regular and other special forces, for example SOE and SAS.
(Eg. I have a medal & document group to a German Jew who served in the AMPC before volunteering for hazardous service with 2nd SAS).

Keith

Mike B 25-01-19 03:43 PM

Keith - very true - hence me calling my note simplistic - you have to take your hat of to these volunteers. From recollection your 'Rudi's Story' provides a fascinating account - highly recommended to anyone interested in SAS and such things etc.
Mike

popskipa 25-01-19 10:52 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike B (Post 466452)
Keith - very true - hence me calling my note simplistic - you have to take your hat of to these volunteers. From recollection your 'Rudi's Story' provides a fascinating account - highly recommended to anyone interested in SAS and such things etc.
Mike

If anyone is interested in Rudi’s Story copies of the book are available on the website I share with a friend www.militarychest.com

Keith

Mike - many thanks for the plug!

jamesmilitaria 06-02-19 02:00 PM

Thanks to everyone for your really interesting comments and information provided. I hadn't picked up that they went to France virtually unarmed as a labour pool and that they became a way for "Aliens" to get into the fight. Seems extraordinary.

Thanks.

popskipa 06-02-19 03:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jamesmilitaria (Post 467856)
Thanks to everyone for your really interesting comments and information provided. I hadn't picked up that they went to France virtually unarmed as a labour pool and that they became a way for "Aliens" to get into the fight. Seems extraordinary.

Thanks.

"...they went to France virtually unarmed..." isn't quite correct.

The "aliens" in the AMPC were used to provide a labour force in the U.K., road and building construction, land work etc. Once the authorities were convinced of the loyalty to the allied cause the individual was allowed to volunteer for service in combatant units and for hazardous service. So leaving the AMPC and transferring to the new regiment, corps, RN, RAF etc. At which time the option of changing name was offered, for example the German jew Rudolf Friedlander on joining the SAS became Robert Lodge.

Keith

Eddie Parks 07-02-19 11:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by popskipa (Post 467862)
"...they went to France virtually unarmed..." isn't quite correct.

My understanding is that the scale was one rifle for every 10 men so that sentries could be armed. No heavier weapons. I was told by one of their veterans that when they left France every man had a rifle.