British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Topics (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=93)
-   -   Intelligence Corps question (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=69914)

yorkstone 23-09-18 02:46 PM

Intelligence Corps question

3 Attachment(s)
Intelligence Corps officers kings crown collars,

J.R.Gaunt London back stamp with a P to rear of rose.

The Question is this badges appear to be unmarked Silver going by the weight and colour of back of badge and lugs the P usually indictes plated in this case is the Gilt front the plating the P refers to.

Either way a nice pick up today

Looking forward to reply's

Regards

Stephen

Frank Kelley 23-09-18 02:58 PM

A nice pair of plated badges, but, I don't understand the South African connection?:confused:

Quote:

Originally Posted by yorkstone (Post 455072)
Intelligence Corps officers kings crown collars,

J.R.Gaunt London back stamp with a P to rear of rose.

The Question is this badges appear to be unmarked Silver going by the weight and colour of back of badge and lugs the P usually indicted plated in this case is the Gilt front the plating refers to.

Either way a nice pick up today

Looking forward to replays

Regards

Stephen

yorkstone 23-09-18 03:10 PM

Frank thought I had posted in General topics section? At least that's what it says?

Regards

Stephen

Frank Kelley 23-09-18 03:29 PM

Well, never mind, whilst this is the SA General Topics section, upon looking at the SA Army section, there are three threads in succession that have little, whatsoever, to do with the SADF!:eek:

craigen 24-09-18 05:47 AM

Hello Stephen

Unfortunately I can't help with your question but this pattern cap badge was also worn by South Africans at one time as far as I know, although it was technically the British badge. I think Australia had its own version with a different scroll. I don't know what collars would have been worn by the South Africans with this pattern cap badge.

The examples I have found as South African badges have almost always been cast badges and all were brass but I would suspect that some members would have ordered decent quality badges such as these if they had the opportunity.

Regards
Craig

fougasse1940 24-09-18 03:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by yorkstone (Post 455072)
The Question is this badges appear to be unmarked Silver going by the weight and colour of back of badge and lugs the P usually indictes plated in this case is the Gilt front the plating the P refers to.

British Intelligence Corps officers would have worn silver badges, while OR's wore gilding metal, a trait shared with some other Corps. The P for plating in this case refers to silver with the silver plating on the obverse now gone for whatever reason.

Rgds, Thomas

Brian Conyngham 24-09-18 03:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fougasse1940 (Post 455183)
British Intelligence Corps officers would have worn silver badges, while OR's wore gilding metal, a trait shared with some other Corps. The P for plating in this case refers to silver with the silver plating on the obverse now gone for whatever reason.

Rgds, Thomas

Thanks Thomas for this info, seen a P once before and had no idea what it represented.

Brian

grey_green_acorn 25-09-18 11:58 AM

6 Attachment(s)
As far as I can ascertain cap and collar badges for Intelligence Corps Officers should be (with King's Crown from 1940) in OSD Bronze finish or Silver Plate.

However, I have a pair of gilt/gilded KC collar badges. They are gilded back and front without a maker's mark or P.

Shown here are the KC Silver Plated versions (not a pair) one is marked FIRMIN LONDON with P the other J R GAUNT LONDON no P.

Tim

yorkstone 25-09-18 06:47 PM

Tim
Thank you for posting your insignia my collars appear as yours from the front,
As to their use maybe someone will advise later.

Perhaps a particular regiment or section within the regiment.to identify a Roll.

Both your badges and mine are of high quality and a well known maker as well.

I always enjoy a quandary.

Regards

Stephen