British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Headdress (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=72)
-   -   Gordon Highlander Tam with 3 Badge Holes - Unit? (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=82036)

Reid10 29-11-20 08:11 PM

Gordon Highlander Tam with 3 Badge Holes - Unit?

5 Attachment(s)
I recently bought a Gordon Highlander Tam found during a house clear out. The Tam is in rough shape, but I actually prefer headgear that have been used. As shown by the pictures, the interior is a yellow cloth (which I have not seen before in a Tam), marked "CPL Sowerby, AC G HQ Coy".

The small size tells me it is likely from the 70s to 90s. I thought it was GH, until I saw the three holes, that go all of the way through. I thought may Aberdeen University OTS, but I believe their cap badge only has two lugs. Maybe for cadets?

Does anyone know what badge (and unit) the Tam might have been used for?

Cheers

Reid

Mark McClelland-Jones 29-11-20 09:41 PM

Hi Reid,

It's GORDONS and likely made by the Bn tailor. The bobble and lining are giveaways. Could the cpl be AGC attached? A 'Sowerby' AGC shows up in London Gazettes - a female too, so hence the small size? But AGC cap badges have sliders (not sure about early versions tho). GORDONS liked wearing their TOS shaped to stick oot at the side and this one doesn't...so could be an attached soldier.

Mark

Shiny 30-11-20 06:51 PM

Just a thought but could it have been a GH one which has been repurposed and the hole at the top centre is for the slider on the AGC badge which was added after the GH badge was removed.

There does appear to be a mark / outline on the patch that could match the right hand side of the AGC badge.

Michael

Mark McClelland-Jones 30-11-20 07:23 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Shiny (Post 530583)
Just a thought but could it have been a GH one which has been repurposed and the hole at the top centre is for the slider on the AGC badge which was added after the GH badge was removed.

There does appear to be a mark / outline on the patch that could match the right hand side of the AGC badge.

Michael

Hi Michael,

Now that you mention it, I can see an AGC badge outline too. There's also a wider hole where a slider would go. I've looked at the close up in B&W and it is even clearer.

Mark

grey_green_acorn 30-11-20 08:26 PM

1 Attachment(s)
AGC attached to the Royal Regiment of Scotland.

Tim

Mark McClelland-Jones 30-11-20 09:39 PM

Hi Tim,

Thanks. Great - the scale looks right. Plus the badge would have been worn higher due to a lack of hackle. So we might be on to a winner, Reid.

Mark

Reid10 09-12-20 07:00 PM

Gentlemen, I am sorry for the late response. I really appreciate your expertise on this. I thought I knew my Tams until I found this one.

I will look for an AGC badge and add it to the Tam. Once I do, I will post the result.

Some incredible sleuthing by all of you.

Respectfully,

Reid

Mike H 10-12-20 06:10 PM

Would it be the cap or beret badge size for the TOS ?

Reid10 23-04-21 06:13 PM

Updated Gordon Highlander AGC TOS

2 Attachment(s)
Based on the feedback from the forum, I have added the AGC cap badge to the TOS. Thanks Mike for sending me the correct badge! It is nice to see it put together again.

Cheers

Reid