British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Royal Artillery, Royal Engineers and Royal Signals. (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   OFFICERS : Caern'/Flint, and Denbigh Yeomanry KK2350-1 (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=23790)

GriffMJ 28-03-12 08:16 AM

OFFICERS : Caern'/Flint, and Denbigh Yeomanry KK2350-1

Bit of a long shot this one (forgive the pun in the Art'y section)

Does anyone have an Officers example (Silver/gilt or other) of the.....?

1. Caernarvon & Denbigh Yeomanry, KK2350.

2. Flint, and Denbigh Yeomanry, KK2351.

GriffMJ 28-03-12 10:46 AM

Further:-

T J Edwards, in his books, describes : -

Cap badge of the Royal Artillery and "Flint, & Denbigh Yeo." silver/gilt collar badges for the 372nd (Flintshire and Denbighshire Yeomanry) Regiment, RA.

So it appears from this description that the Other Ranks wore the "Flint, and Denbigh Yeo." Bi-metal (from 1956) and A/A Cap badge (from 1958) with A/A "Flint, & Denbigh Yeo." Collars (possibly bi-metal collars also)? He does say that the Collars were first worn in 1962 in his book(s).

GriffMJ 29-03-12 10:09 AM

1 Attachment(s)

Here is a spanner in the works..... 61st or 361st Caernarvonshire & Denbighshire (Yeomanry) Medium Regiment, Royal Artillery , T.A. Officers Service Dress cap badge...... this actually reflects the early DHY officers OSD hinting that it could be pre 1949...... or is it the case that from 1949-56 the Officers wore this badge in service dress and the Officers RA cap badge in Blues?

Peter Brydon 29-03-12 12:06 PM

Griff,

Not much help but I acquired all the uniforms from an officer who transfered from the Lancashire Hussars ( A Troop West Lancashire Regt R.A. (T) ) to the Flint and Denbigh Yeomanry when he had moved from the Liverpool area to Chester

There was his service dress,blue patrols and mess kit. The patrols had chain mail on the shoulders.

The man was moving from the Chester area to be close to his daughter down south unfortunatley he had taken the silver and gilt F and D collars off the patrol jacket and they were with some items he had already sent to his new house. He no longer had any items of head dress .

If I had not had the uniforms off him he was going to put them in a skip. You can imagine my disappointment at not at least being able to see the F and D collars.

Peter

GriffMJ 29-03-12 12:25 PM

Peter

The S/G "Flint, & Dendigh Yeo" collars are shown, by illustration, in T J Edwards book and according to his notes he says they were worn from 1962 up until becoming 3rd (V) RWF :)

I can imagine the collars are pretty rare now :rolleyes: I have images of the ORs A/A version in my album though.......

BTW the difference between Collar & Cap badge is the word "AND" is replaced by "&" .... so the cap badge says "FLINT, AND DENBIGH YEO." and the collar says "FLINT, & DENBIGH YEO."

GriffMJ 29-03-12 12:51 PM

2 Attachment(s)

I think there is an answer to the above OSD....... if the A/A ORs shown below is indeed a fake then the OSD must be also? I am getting a second opinion from Chris [HAGWALTHER] on the A/A just to get a firm ruling on it.

fougasse1940 30-03-12 06:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GriffMJ (Post 161301)
if the A/A ORs shown below is indeed a fake then the OSD must be also?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WdNsltQXTVU

Rgds,

Thomas.

Expat Yeoman 04-02-22 08:08 AM

2 Attachment(s)
I have shown these to GriffMJ already but may be of interest to the wider group.

Recent acquisitions from a long-established collection.

C&D Yeomanry silver & gilt and bronze.

Expat Yeoman 04-02-22 08:10 AM

1 Attachment(s)
F&D Yeo

I believe only S&G known and no bronze pattern.

Cap and collar badge

41st 04-02-22 10:10 AM

Very nice.

Alan O 04-02-22 11:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GriffMJ (Post 161301)

I think there is an answer to the above OSD....... if the A/A ORs shown below is indeed a fake then the OSD must be also? I am getting a second opinion from Chris [HAGWALTHER] on the A/A just to get a firm ruling on it.

I am open minded about this badge. If it is a fake then it is the only fake with that method of construction which would be unusual.

When Gaylor commissioned the known fakes and fantasy badges (RWarcs, large F&F yeomanry) they were all of the same die struck construction because that is cheap and easy. The overlaid with pins is possibly the most complicated and time consuming way of making a badge and thus the most costly. Which is why I suspect it is one of the least frequently method of construction found.

For this reason alone I am dubious it's a fake for if someone is going to go to that level of forgery then they would match the die as well.