British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Photographs of British Servicemen and Women Wearing Insignia (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=35)
-   -   London Rifles?. (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=14244)

signalman 10-01-11 04:32 PM

London Rifles?.

2 Attachment(s)
12th/16th London's?. All comments welcome. Regards Phil.

Toby Purcell 12-01-11 11:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by signalman (Post 95824)
12th/16th London's?. All comments welcome. Regards Phil.

16th Londons I think. I believe the 12th had a scroll underneath the Cross "Rangers".

signalman 23-01-11 02:56 PM

Thank you Toby, i think you are right.Regards Phil.

Alan O 23-01-11 03:55 PM

Neither imo - 11th Finsbury rifles. The 16th was a larger badge

Peter J 23-01-11 03:59 PM

Hello chaps,

I'd agree that it is not the 12th, though I'd have to disagree with 16th Londons. The 16th badge has a portcullis in the centre, which this badge does not appear to have.

It looks more like the 'Cast-iron Sixth' to me; KRRC-shaped badge with voided centre (stringed bugle-horn) and no discernible battle honours on the E/W & S arms of the cross.

I don't think it's the 9th (QVR) either, as the centre looks nothing like St. George.

Probably completely wrong though! :D

Cheers,

PJ

BWEF 23-01-11 04:10 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Does this help at all?

Peter J 23-01-11 04:17 PM

Are those black buttons?

----------------------------

Thanks BWEF - that helped.

PJ

BWEF 23-01-11 04:45 PM

2 Attachment(s)
The Other Rank is wearing Rifles buttons.

I am not sure about the Officer, he could be wearing those leather buttons that officers sometimes did.

Anyway, judge for yourself.

Peter J 23-01-11 05:00 PM

A final query...

...are all the O/Rs wearing riding trousers, or just the bloke on the far right? The badges of the two fellas on the far right look different to the middle two, or is it just my eyes?

PJ

signalman 23-01-11 06:34 PM

Thanks gent's.The two men on the right seem to be wearing mounted troops trousers.

Toby Purcell 02-02-11 04:09 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by signalman (Post 97610)
Thanks gent's.The two men on the right seem to be wearing mounted troops trousers.

Looking again in light of the suggestions made by the other posters I think these men might well not be London's at all, but KRR. The officers' of KRR wore a silver bugle on a red cord boss as their cap badge. The men a Black Maltese Cross with voided centre around a stringed bugle horn and surmounted by a crown backed with a patch of red cloth, albeit that this was usually removed for trench wear. Although the arms of the cross were inscribed with battle honours, these were tiny and would not, I believe, be discernible on a photo of this size. By way of comparison I am posting a similar pic from WW2 where the 2 badges can be seen, this time with the ORs red cloth backing.

Peter J 02-02-11 04:17 PM

Toby,

Could still feasibly be Londons, insamuch as the 34th County of London Battalion was KRRC.

Regards,

PJ

Toby Purcell 02-02-11 04:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peter J (Post 98977)
Tony,

Could still be Londons insamuch as the 34th County of London Battalion was KRRC.

Regards,

PJ

Yes, quite a few of the rifles battalions were affiliated with the KRR who, along with the Rifle Brigade, had no TF battalions of their own.

If they are London's then I think that the 6th City of London battalion is by far the most likely contender, as its badge is very close in appearance to the KRR and more so than the other TF rifle regiments.

However, I do not know whether the 6th's officers wore the corded boss style of cap badge.

Peter J 02-02-11 04:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Toby Purcell (Post 98979)
Yes, quite a few of the rifles battalions were affiliated with the KRR who, along with the Rifle Brigade, had no TF battalions of their own.

If they are London's then I think that the 6th City of London battalion is by far the most likely contender, as its badge is very close in appearance to the KRR and more so than the other TF rifle regiments.

However, I do not know whether the 6th's officers wore the corded boss style of cap badge.

Agreed - the 6th is certainly the closest-looking badge to those pictured, in as far as the image quality allows.

PJ

Toby Purcell 02-02-11 05:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peter J (Post 98980)
Agreed - the 6th is certainly the closest-looking badge to those pictured, in as far as the image quality allows.

PJ

To be definitive we need to know what the officers of the 6th wore. The officer in the photo is also wearing the black ball buttons worn by KRR officers, but these too may have been adopted by the London rifle regiments affiliated with KRR.