British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Infantry (& Guards) Badges (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Worcestershire Regiment officer's mess jacket. (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=75081)

High Wood 28-08-19 02:47 PM

Worcestershire Regiment officer's mess jacket.

3 Attachment(s)
I picked this named mess jacket up on Monday and having researched the original owner, I would like to restore it. I am going to need some advice regarding the missing regimental badges and the rank badges.

High Wood 28-08-19 03:04 PM

2 Attachment(s)
As you can see from the label the name of the original owner was an officer with the surname de la Hey. The label is dated 15/4/1933.

The November 1935 Army list has the following:
Worcestershire Regiment. 8th Battalion. (Territorial).
Majors.
de la Hey. C.J.O. 26/01/1931.

The London Gazette 15th June 1915 has the following:
Unattached List for the Indian Army.
Cyril James Oldridge de la Hey.

A year later it has:

2nd Lieutenants to be Lieutenants.
Cyril James Oldridge de la Hey. 27th Light Cavalry.

A look at the medal index cards shows that he has no Great War Medal entitlement. The last initial on the mic is wrong, but it is the same man.

High Wood 28-08-19 03:11 PM

The London Gazette 11th March 1930 has the following:

Territorial Force.
8th Battalion Worcestershire Regiment.
Captain. C.J.O. de la Hey, late Indian Army, to be Captain with seniority 27th January 1927 -27th November 1929.

High Wood 28-08-19 03:16 PM

2 Attachment(s)
As he is shown as a having attained the rank of Major by 1935, he should at least have a single crown on his epaulettes. There is evidence that there was once a crown but possibly also something else.

Do I restore the jacket to the rank of Major, his last known rank or do I take into account the fact that it may once have had a Lieutenant Colonel's rank.

Either way, the rank badges were once sewn on so should they be bullion or woven?

High Wood 28-08-19 03:24 PM

2 Attachment(s)
The collar also appears to have had regimental badges at one time as can be seen by the holes. Does anyone know what type of regimental badges would have been worn on Mess Dress by officers of the 8th Bn. Worcestershire Regiment in the 1930s?

High Wood 28-08-19 06:00 PM

2 Attachment(s)
A bi-metal collar badge, Churchill 818) fits the holes in the uniform perfectly but unfortunately the book states the following:

When full dress was phased out in the 1930s, an all-silver version of the above (818), was also in use. Regimental records record: D. Mess Dress. Jacket facings of emerald green poplin silk of regimental shade, jacket of scarlet cloth, embroidered shoulder badges of rank and silver collar badges.

I think that this has just become expensive.

cbuehler 28-08-19 10:34 PM

2 Attachment(s)
The shoulder straps should have had a silver bullion letter T on the very base below the rank, which may account for the threads of missing insignia, or it could have been his previous rank. Most Territorials had this T to my knowledge, even into the 1930s.
The collar badge would be the one pictured here to my knowledge. It is silver and gilt with a enamel background. There may have been an all silver version as well. It is roughly 3 cm high.

CB

High Wood 29-08-19 07:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cbuehler (Post 487226)
The shoulder straps should have had a silver bullion letter T on the very base below the rank, which may account for the threads of missing insignia, or it could have been his previous rank. Most Territorials had this T to my knowledge, even into the 1930s.
The collar badge would be the one pictured here to my knowledge. It is silver and gilt with a enamel background. There may have been an all silver version as well. It is roughly 3 cm high.

CB

Many thanks for the information, it was very helpful. I have owned a Royal Signals mess jacket that also had the Territorial Ts on it but I do not remember that they were silver bullion.

Unfortunately, the Worcestershire Regiment appears to be one of those that does not seem to attract much attention from collectors, or if it does, they seem to keep a low profile. In my initial forum search, I could find only one dedicated album and the owner, may have now passed on as he has not posted for nearly ten years.

https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/fo...hp?albumid=329

High Wood 29-08-19 08:01 AM

Quote:

CB

This badge appears to be the pre 1923 Officer's collar badge with the "FIRM" tablet on the lower point of the star. After 1923 it was inside the circlet supporting the lion.

leigh kitchen 29-08-19 02:20 PM

Quote:

CB

Now you've mentioned the letter "T" insignia I think I can see their "ghost" outlined in both images of the shoulder straps, they appear to be off centre within the stitch marks, so removed prior to rank crowns or stars being sewn on in the same locations?

High Wood 29-08-19 02:36 PM

Does anyone have an example of the bullion Territorial T in their collection so that I can see what I am looking for?

cbuehler 29-08-19 03:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by High Wood (Post 487238)
This badge appears to be the pre 1923 Officer's collar badge with the "FIRM" tablet on the lower point of the star. After 1923 it was inside the circlet supporting the lion.

Well, there is something I never noticed regarding the tablet!
Indeed, the Worcesters don't seem to have a lot of sex appeal to collectors.
A "Fish and Chips" county regiment like themselves were not particularly fashionable in the days of the old British Army either.
Like other lesser known county regiments, they were everywhere and the backbone of the Army and Empire.

CB

High Wood 29-08-19 03:46 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I have found a photograph of the bullion T on the internet so now I know what I am looking for.

grey_green_acorn 29-08-19 04:00 PM

Badges of the Worcestershire Regiment

1 Attachment(s)
I do not have a copy but this book might be useful:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Badges-Worc...gateway&sr=8-5

Tim

High Wood 30-08-19 07:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by grey_green_acorn (Post 487268)
I do not have a copy but this book might be useful:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Badges-Worc...gateway&sr=8-5

Tim

Many thanks for your input.