British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Army (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   Natal Mounted Rifles cap badges and titles (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=38657)

loupie1961 05-04-14 09:19 AM

Natal Mounted Rifles cap badges and titles

10 Attachment(s)
Some recent purchases: one damaged (one lug missing) NMR slouch hat badge, one, I guess sand cast, NMR cap badge and an oddly looking NMR epaulette title of a different pattern, probably sand cast as well... any hints? Thank you in advance!

loupie1961 06-04-14 11:52 AM

4 Attachment(s)
Two other slouch badges, one sand cast in brass, the other one an Officers specimen in bronze.

loupie1961 06-04-14 12:04 PM

4 Attachment(s)
Two other arm titles, one white metal and the other one blackened brass

loupie1961 06-04-14 12:11 PM

2 Attachment(s)
An finally a sand cast brass NMR collar badge!

loupie1961 09-04-14 09:42 AM

So, no observations or hints regarding the top NMR epaulette title between bars? I would rather say is not WWII, possibly earlier?

Brian Conyngham 12-04-14 01:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by loupie1961 (Post 257454)
Two other slouch badges, one sand cast in brass, the other one an Officers specimen in bronze.

Nice badges, these were mainly worn on the SA Polo helmet.

Brian

Frank Kelley 12-04-14 02:02 PM

Which title in particular are you talking about, they were worn for quite a long time, examples worn in the Anglo Boer War and in Italy circa 1944 are rather more interesting and quite rare!
If you are talking about the example in your original post in this thread, it apears crude and cast, I would think East Africa.

Quote:

Originally Posted by loupie1961 (Post 257887)
So, no observations or hints regarding the top NMR epaulette title between bars? I would rather say is not WWII, possibly earlier?

loupie1961 13-04-14 09:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frank Kelley (Post 258403)
Which title in particular are you talking about, they were worn for quite a long time, examples worn in the Anglo Boer War and in Italy circa 1944 are rather more interesting and quite rare!
If you are talking about the example in your original post in this thread, it apears crude and cast, I would think East Africa.

Hello Frank, yes, the title in the first post. So cast in East Africa or used in East Africa? and what about the third title, the bronzed brass one? thank you and all the best!

Frank Kelley 13-04-14 05:39 PM

I'm not to sure about that one, perhaps Brian will give us his thoughts.

Quote:

Originally Posted by loupie1961 (Post 258500)
Hello Frank, yes, the title in the first post. So cast in East Africa or used in East Africa? and what about the third title, the bronzed brass one? thank you and all the best!

Brian Conyngham 14-04-14 04:22 PM

Hi

If you are referring to the blackened brass version then...there were a large number of blacked SA Badges turned out for wartime (WW2) and I guess this was one of them? I do collect to the NMR but have not seen such a version but then again I am not an expert, maybe Andrew might have an example like this.

Brian

Alex Rice 17-04-14 06:04 AM

Hi All
That blackened brass title is a bit odd. I have my doubts about it being WWII because I would have expected there to be more of them around if it was :confused:. I wonder if they were made for border service in the 70's or 80's? I used to be with NMR and have a reasonable collection of their badges and don't remember seeing one like this before. Nice find though :p
Cheers,
Alex

Madziro 17-04-14 02:41 PM

2 Attachment(s)
For what it is worth - These two titles were issued during the ABW. The one is typical chunky cast brass and the other hand cut from sheet brass. I believe that they were used as slouch hat titles as well as shoulder titles.

Madziro 17-04-14 02:46 PM

2 Attachment(s)
This is the NMR number 3 that was worn on the side of the helmet. There was also a slightly larger version of the collar type badge worn as a cap badge and it is also included here. Both appear to be WW1 era on.

Frank Kelley 17-04-14 08:35 PM

The cast example was certainly worn on the hat, generally speaking, most of the SAMIF rank and file did not wear shoulder titles, but, that was not the case with the Natal Volunteers, although, the vast majority of their badges were actually made in Great Britain anyway.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Madziro (Post 259032)
For what it is worth - These two titles were issued during the ABW. The one is typical chunky cast brass and the other hand cut from sheet brass. I believe that they were used as slouch hat titles as well as shoulder titles.

Milmed 18-04-14 05:11 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I have seen the number three been worn by NMR troops during WWII on the polo helmet. Will fish out a picture later and add the the post.

The small cast NMR between bars may be for officers though this is pure speculation. The other possibility is the transvaal volunteer unit "Northern Mounted Rifles"

Steven