British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Photographs of British Servicemen and Women Wearing Insignia (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=35)
-   -   The Stock Exchange Cadets (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=21461)

Peter99 11-12-11 04:10 PM

The Stock Exchange Cadets

1 Attachment(s)
Here is a pic of the Stock Exchange Cadet Company of the 1st Cadet Batt
of the Royal Regiment of Fusiliers, on parade outside the Hotel de Ville, Brussells 1949.
I am the Lance Corporal closest to the camera.
The Officer Commanding the Parade was a Major Max Karo.
A few years ago now!

ANGLE IRON 11-12-11 04:17 PM

Nice picture, Would you have been badged Royal Fusileers or did you have another badge? Regards Kevin.

Graham Stewart 11-12-11 04:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peter99 (Post 145756)
Here is a pic of the Stock Exchange Cadet Company of the 1st Cadet Batt
of the Royal Regiment of Fusiliers, on parade outside the Hotel de Ville, Brussells 1949.
I am the Lance Corporal closest to the camera.
The Officer Commanding the Parade was a Major Max Karo.
A few years ago now!

You mean "1st Cadet Bn, Royal Fusiliers" - the "Royal Regiment of Fusiliers" was created until 23rd April 1968, with the amalgamation of all the Fusilier regiments.

grumpy 11-12-11 05:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Graham Stewart (Post 145763)
You mean "1st Cadet Bn, Royal Fusiliers" - the "Royal Regiment of Fusiliers" was created until 23rd April 1968, with the amalgamation of all the Fusilier regiments.

Graham! You mean "except the Royal Regiment of Wales, the Royal Welch Fusiliers". All the OTHER fusiliers, perhaps!

Graham Stewart 11-12-11 06:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by grumpy (Post 145771)
Graham! You mean "except the Royal Regiment of Wales, the Royal Welch Fusiliers". All the OTHER fusiliers, perhaps!

Doh - forgot to put 'English' Fusilier regiments:rolleyes:

Peter Brydon 11-12-11 07:25 PM

Peter,

A great picture, taken the year I was born,so as you say, a few years ago now.

Regards

Peter

Peter99 12-12-11 06:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ANGLE IRON (Post 145757)
Nice picture, Would you have been badged Royal Fusileers or did you have another badge? Regards Kevin.

Hi ANGLE IRON: Yes! We were badged to the Royal Fusiliers.
Thanks for your interest!

Peter99 12-12-11 06:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Graham Stewart (Post 145763)

Surely, the Royal Fusiliers 7th of Foot, has always been known, and going back well beyond recent amalagamations as the Royal Regiment of Fusiliers.
I would suggest, going back as far as 1685 the regiment was known as the 'Our Royal Regiment of Fuziliers'.
Ref: 'A companion to the British Army 1660 - 1983' by David Ascoli

Toby Purcell 12-12-11 06:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peter99 (Post 145962)
Surely, the Royal Fusiliers 7th of Foot, has always been known, and going back well beyond recent amalagamations as the Royal Regiment of Fusiliers.
I would suggest, going back as far as 1685 the regiment was known as the 'Our Royal Regiment of Fuziliers'.
Ref: 'A companion to the British Army 1660 - 1983' by David Ascoli

Although in ancient form the 7th Foot was for a period known as the Royal Regiment of Fuzileers (much as the 23rd was known as the Royal Regiment of Welsh Fuzileers), the official title of the regiment was formalised in 1881 as the Royal Fusiliers (City of London Regiment) and thus fought two World Wars under that name, which was abbreviated to 'RF'. It is the name under which it is most well known as Graham has rightly said. The merger of all the regiments in the Fusilier Brigade in 1968 led to the re-titling as Royal Regiment of Fusiliers (RRF), the name under which it is still known today.

There is a particularly comprehensive website on today's regiment (RRF) and one of its forebears (the RF) that relates specifically to the association with London here:

http://rrflondon.2day.ws/RRFLondon/s...iliers/2934037

Peter99 13-12-11 07:10 PM

I do agree, I should have referred to the Stock Exchange Cadets as being badged in the 1940's to the Royal Fusiliers not RRF.
The RRF has been used for some years now but I took it a bit too far back!

Regarding the RRF origins in 1685 by James II, I see that the www.army.mod.uk website also refers to RR Fuziliers as 'my' not 'the'.

Another, fropar. I should have stated Major Max Karo 'MBE' (a stock broker of course)
There is no doubt he was very dedicated to the Stock Exchange Company and pulled many strings to get the best possible in the hard times of the
1940's.
Not many ACF units travelled to Paris & Brussells in those times,
with drill training weekends at Wellington Barracks with all boots spit & polished.
I can recall the Guards Drill NCO's being under the supervision of RSM 'Piggy' (Reese?) of the Welsh Guards. I did meet him again in BAOR in 1951.
I doubt there has been an Army Cadet or ACF/CCF unit before or since that could meet the Stock Exchange Cadet Company standards in turnout and drill.

Marjon 20-10-20 04:14 PM

Hi Peter99 I am from the City of London and North East Sector ACF and doing a history of the Stock Exchange and would like to ask a few question on Maj Karo if you are willing to answer them.

Peter99 12-02-23 08:16 PM

Hi Marjon: My apologies for the belated reply, but what are your questions?