British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Topics. (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=31)
-   -   Polishing badges (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=75292)

Restrikes-ok 13-09-19 07:54 PM

Polishing badges

Dear cap badge aficionados

It seems a rookie question to ask but......

I am of the ilk that likes to polish a badge before displaying. I paid what for me is big money ie £26 for a Royal Marines Artillery cap badge.

Ive tried bringing it up with brasso and tooth brush but i'm getting no where with it.

Ive heard soaking in coke-a-cola works. Is this a 'housewifes tale' or is there any credence in it ?

Thanks John

Ps any other polishing suggestions welcome

KLR 13-09-19 08:05 PM

Don't EVER dip any badge (coin, etc) into Coca Cola - it is VERY corrosive !
(Ld knows what it does to ones guts !!)

Mild cleaning with water and soap AND full rinsing will usually do. A rubbing with a clean cloth will get back to a good condition. However, you won't really restore a badge to the exactly same condition it was made 100 years ago.

But that's what most collectors like - good condition with a bit of history.

Restrikes-ok 13-09-19 08:18 PM

Thanks for the advice, so it was in the coke for 5 mins before you replied :D

49lassiepen 13-09-19 08:32 PM

If it is a repro you will never clean it to any where near genuine item like wise with repro white metal no matter how much you clean them they always have a greyish tint
David

Luke H 13-09-19 08:36 PM

I suspect with a tooth brush you’re being too soft if it’s got a heavy patina to it. Cloth, polish and elbow grease.

Old pickle vinegar will strip off tarnish, verdigris etc. so may save you some time.

Neil M.ex14/20H.MAN A.C.F 14-09-19 12:35 AM

Hi John
I use a suede shoe(brass wire)brush myself with mild detergent.
Regards Neil

Gurkha 20-09-19 12:50 PM

Years ago before I knew better, I used 'Scrubs' cloudy ammonia to clean brass, fumes are not nice but cleans them up like new but you need to watch and have clean water to drop them in after. Failing that 'Clock Cleaner' obtained on line works

Steve

Restrikes-ok 20-09-19 05:05 PM

The problem i have now is the metal has a redish hue, this RMA badge is proving hard work for me :D

leigh kitchen 20-09-19 05:15 PM

If gilt finish with a deep reddish hue, I've found that lemon juice cleans the gilt up beautifully.

Luc 20-09-19 07:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Neil M.ex14/20H.MAN A.C.F (Post 488334)
a suede shoe(brass wire)brush

This works like a charm when you are dealing with tough verdigris or laquer.

KLR 21-09-19 06:30 AM

ouch - scratches will be permanent!

Phil2M 21-09-19 12:10 PM

Red hue is over exposure to harsh chemicals, its the copper in the brass you are seeing. You won't be able to reverse it, as far as i know.

Restrikes-ok 21-09-19 03:34 PM

I have the courage to continue Phil. Ironic that i did that trying to clean it lol !

grenadierguardsman 21-09-19 10:36 PM

I use toothpaste and warm water front and back. Any tough verdigris normally comes off with a grinder.
Andy:D

Restrikes-ok 21-09-19 10:44 PM

I have no problem 'rubbing' restrikes, but as there is a possibility this one 'real' I will followup on your toothpaste advice !