British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Reproductions, Restrikes, Fakes, Forgeries, and Copies (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Be aware Fiber glass military Gorgets (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=76247)

arrestingu 02-12-19 11:54 AM

Be aware Fiber glass military Gorgets

1 Attachment(s)
Having just been screwed over on a very very well done fiber glass gorget ,I thought I would make others aware .
They are mounted on wood plaque ,which limits your inspection of the item ,the only real way to tell is with a metal detector. They are very well aged ,
Be forewarned.

I have destroyed mine with a hammer so no one else gets caught out with it , in the trash it's gone.

leigh kitchen 02-12-19 11:58 AM

Darn - no way of returning the thing for refund, presumably?

arrestingu 02-12-19 12:04 PM

Sadly to late , lesson learnt , just shows even after collecting for forty odd years you can still get caught out by a duff one !!!

Tweed 02-12-19 12:08 PM

Wow,
That photo looks convincing

Kind regards Chay

grenadierguardsman 02-12-19 12:30 PM

Who sold you it ?
Andy

manchesters 02-12-19 12:37 PM

That would fool anyone by looking at it.

regards

arrestingu 02-12-19 12:51 PM

...at antiques fair.

magpie 02-12-19 01:22 PM

A picture of the broken down item and its construction both front and back would be helpful just so you know how it's made.

yorkstone 02-12-19 02:09 PM

Thank you for the warning first time I have seen one,
Fake Death plaques are prolific what next.

These items are made to deceive sorry you had the misfortune to walk into one
Regardsi

Stephen

MarkGD 02-12-19 03:51 PM

Fake Gorget

AU, i don't know about getting your money back, but that surely it is a criminal offence, to knowingly sell something that it is not. Regards Mark

Slinky Cat 02-12-19 04:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MarkGD (Post 493846)
AU, i don't know about getting your money back, but that surely it is a criminal offence, to knowingly sell something that it is not. Regards Mark

I heard Labour are going to devote more police resources to the fake gorget market, should they get in

altcar73 02-12-19 04:59 PM

Trading Standards not Police. Guilty knowledge by the seller, difficult to prove.

Dave.

MarkGD 02-12-19 05:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Slinky Cat (Post 493850)
I heard Labour are going to devote more police resources to the fake gorget market, should they get in

And free militaria for all! :D

popskipa 02-12-19 07:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MarkGD (Post 493856)
And free militaria for all! :D

Hasn't Boris made this promise already?...

Frank Kelley 03-12-19 08:53 AM

I suppose it would depend upon how it was sold, was it sold as original, or, was it merely sold as seen for a small asking price, it is clearly not an antique.
The fact it is mounted like that is rather odd and not really something that I would expect to see and the first thing I would have looked at, before handling it, would be how it was attached.

Quote:

Originally Posted by MarkGD (Post 493846)