British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Cavalry, Yeomanry, Tank/RAC Badges (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   East Riding Yeomanry (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=86572)

rboorman 24-09-21 05:15 PM

East Riding Yeomanry

2 Attachment(s)
I would appreciate your thoughts on the attached badge.

49lassiepen 24-09-21 06:32 PM

His other items for sale with this on ebay at present look o.k not my field but looks fine and not one that i have seen being reproduced/faked in any numbers Lettering/font slightly rounded not sure if reason for concern
£50.00 at present

GriffMJ 24-09-21 06:57 PM

.... I have a vague memory of this possibly being a 2nd Boer War badge .... not sure?

49lassiepen 25-09-21 10:06 AM

Badge sold for £128.50 , in my opinion not expensive for a badge you don't see very often -especially if Boar War

PeterB 26-09-21 07:36 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Hmm, don't know about anything about this badge but 2nd Boer war was 11/10/1899 to 31/05/1902 and the East Riding Yeomanry wasn't raised until 1903. The initial badge was a plain fox (pic attached) and the motto Forrard wasn't added until after 1920....

I know this because coincidentally I picked up the two examples in the attached picture at an antiques fair last weekend for £3 each and have been reading up on them. I've seen them go for £20 on eBay, a trader currently has one for £75 on their website and some numpty has just listed one on eBay for £99.99 - how on earth do you go about determining what something is worth?!

Luke H 26-09-21 08:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PeterB (Post 560525)
Hmm, don't know about anything about this badge but 2nd Boer war was 11/10/1899 to 31/05/1902 and the East Riding Yeomanry wasn't raised until 1903. The initial badge was a plain fox (pic attached) and the motto Forrard wasn't added until after 1920....

I know this because coincidentally I picked up the two examples in the attached picture at an antiques fair last weekend for £3 each and have been reading up on them. I've seen them go for £20 on eBay, a trader currently has one for £75 on their website and some numpty has just listed one on eBay for £99.99 - how on earth do you go about determining what something is worth?!

Those two are sadly worth about £3 each as they are fakes. Note hose the nose and tongue has a Scooby Doo look and both fore and hind legs are solid.

The same pattern was worn by the ERYIY on the cap and also as facing collars into WW1.

Here is a genuine slidered badge:
https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/fo...ctureid=191104

A genuine example would retail at circa £65 on a ‘reputable’ dealers list, some however will charge more and a few a lot more. Some badges are marked Smith & Wright which I suspect to be WW1 vintage, I’d expect more would be asked for such a marked badge.

Personally I’ve never paid for than £23 for one.

49lassiepen 26-09-21 09:50 PM

As already stated by Luke your badges are fake worth £3.00 ????? -would say place in rubbish/ bin box You may need to do some more reading

Luke H 26-09-21 10:08 PM

I forgot to add that it is incorrect that the Forrad scroll was added in 1920.

The pattern with the scroll was actually in wear prior to WW1 but not common we know this as a few period photos exist.

By WW1 the Forrard scroll badge was relatively common with lots of photos of men wearing both patterns of badge.

High Wood 27-09-21 08:21 AM

3 Attachment(s)
East Riding of Yorkshire Yeomanry. The first photograph is dated 1918. The second has no information but is almost certainly a Great War photograph. The third is dated 1907.

Two of the photographs were taken in Hull. All three photographs are head and torso or full length, I have only shown the head and neck.

Hoot 27-09-21 10:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PeterB (Post 560525)

They were raised in 1902 and adopted the motto at the same time. I would advise you not to rely too much on Gaylor's book for historical accuracy.

Luke H 27-09-21 05:18 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hoot (Post 560561)
They were raised in 1902 and adopted the motto at the same time. I would advise you not to rely too much on Gaylor's book for historical accuracy.

Yes Hoot is correct.

https://www.thegazette.co.uk/London/...7425/page/2508

I would also echo his advice around Gaylor’s book. It’s an excellent resource and pocket guide to badges but the internet, period photographs, archival research have progressed the hobby much since it was written and exposed a number of inaccuracies.

Here is a pre-war picture of signallers wearing the Forrard scroll badge. As you can see there is a real mix with both versions worn cap and collars and intermixed.

Deejayuu 27-09-21 06:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Luke H (Post 560539)
I forgot to add that it is incorrect that the Forrad scroll was added in 1920.

The pattern with the scroll was actually in wear prior to WW1 but not common we know this as a few period photos exist.

By WW1 the Forrard scroll badge was relatively common with lots of photos of men wearing both patterns of badge.

There is no hard and fast transition date, i have a photo with various permutations of scrolled and unscrolled ERY badges being worn at the same time. Many imperial service badges on show as well. Photo i think is pre WWI though no dates provided. See pictures posted in previous thread.
https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/fo...898#post171898

Luke H 27-09-21 06:26 PM

Keith Hook has told he he’s seen it in photos before 1910 albeit rare.

rboorman 27-09-21 07:16 PM

ERIY

Not sure I goth thoughts on the ‘Mounted Scouts’ element of the badge I enquired about?

Luke H 11-01-22 09:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rboorman (Post 560622)
Not sure I goth thoughts on the ‘Mounted Scouts’ element of the badge I enquired about?

I’m reliably informed it is an arm badge worn by the ERIY 1903-08 and featured in a paperback on history of the ERY. Afraid I do not have the publication name.