British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Anodised Aluminium Badges (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=82)
-   -   Rare Irish Guards, anodised 'cap star'. (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=78487)

bess55 28-04-20 05:32 PM

Rare Irish Guards, anodised 'cap star'.

4 Attachment(s)
A recent acquisition of mine.

In the Guards museum, within the display of cap badges is an example of the attached. Issued to the Battalion in the early 1970's it was apparently returned from whence it came by (if I recall) the RSM as it was substandard and the lugs had been applied North & South. There is a die flaw at about 10 or 11 o'clock as you look at it. The ends of the rays at this point are a bit mangled and there are 3 'blobs' on the rays about halfway along. My images do not really show these flaws well, but with the naked eye are visible. On the rear, there appear to be locating/fixing marks for the lugs at the East & West position, but for some reason are affixed vertically.

Purely for interests sake chaps.

Regards all

Bess

Mike H 28-04-20 05:40 PM

Nice badge. A good find mate. Cant be many around if they were returned to the maker.
It's odd they'd have put the lugs north and south.

54Bty 28-04-20 05:57 PM

Possibly incorrectly orientated during the process.

Marc

grenadierguardsman 28-04-20 06:05 PM

A nice cap star Bess.
Andy

bess55 28-04-20 06:19 PM

Thanks chaps, just goes to show these things do STILL turn up.

I've been searching for this little b#####d for years, would you believe. . . .

William 28-04-20 08:54 PM

Unusual badge. Excellent find. Interesting IG artefact. Looks like you have unearthed yet another extreme rarity! I

Congratulations, Sean on another good discovery!

W

John Mulcahy 29-04-20 10:13 AM

Very interesting , that’s a new one for me. Thanks for posting.

John

bobanodised 29-04-20 11:49 AM

Guards badge

Just a thought, might this have been an intended belt plate badge?
Bob

ukbrits 29-04-20 01:30 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Hi Sean,
Yes nice find and another variant to look out for. This badge made me scurry to my swops box and found this anodised I.G cap star below.

This cap star may well have been cold enamelled or painted I don't know. Who ever did it must have spent ages doctoring this badge to make it look like a Warrant Officers cap star unless it was issued this way?

Don't think the R.S.M would have been happy with this one either.
Regards
Colin

grenadierguardsman 29-04-20 01:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ukbrits (Post 508230)
Hi Sean,
Yes nice find and another variant to look out for. This badge made me scurry to my swops box and found this anodised I.G cap star below.

This cap star may well have been cold enamelled or painted I don't know. Who ever did it must have spent ages doctoring this badge to make it look like a Warrant Officers cap star unless it was issued this way?

Don't think the R.S.M would have been happy with this one either.
Regards
Colin

That looks quite good imho.
Andy

ukbrits 29-04-20 01:50 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Thanks Andy,
I've just realised it's silver anodised too.
Delving further into the swop box I have found a gold I.G cap star also made by J.R Gaunt London to put alongside to show the possible difference in colour.
Regards
Colin

Mike H 29-04-20 02:09 PM

Could it be a pipers beret badge or an error?
I dont know if pipers are allowed to wear the caubeen all the time. The centre looks as if it's been painted. The colours are wrong. Should be the cross in red ,the circlet in blue,the cross backing white and gold letters and highlights.

I have seen similar anodised badges,both with professional enamelling,the RDG rejected version and to the Duke of Connaught's Hampshire.

grenadierguardsman 29-04-20 03:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ukbrits (Post 508235)
Thanks Andy,
I've just realised it's silver anodised too.
Delving further into the swop box I have found a gold I.G cap star also made by J.R Gaunt London to put alongside to show the possible difference in colour.
Regards
Colin

Looks even nicer next to the gold one.
Andy

JerryBB 29-04-20 05:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bess55 (Post 508120)
A recent acquisition of mine.

In the Guards museum, within the display of cap badges is an example of the attached. Issued to the Battalion in the early 1970's it was apparently returned from whence it came by (if I recall) the RSM as it was substandard and the lugs had been applied North & South. There is a die flaw at about 10 or 11 o'clock as you look at it. The ends of the rays at this point are a bit mangled and there are 3 'blobs' on the rays about halfway along. My images do not really show these flaws well, but with the naked eye are visible. On the rear, there appear to be locating/fixing marks for the lugs at the East & West position, but for some reason are affixed vertically.

Purely for interests sake chaps.

Regards all

Bess

Is this the one from tel's insignia?

bess55 30-04-20 06:52 AM

It is . . .