British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   The Royal Australian Navy and Air Force (RAN & RAAF) (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=63)
-   -   WAS THE RAF EDUCATION CAP BADGE ALSO WORN BY THE RAAF (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=14908)

badgecollector 20-02-11 03:40 AM

WAS THE RAF EDUCATION CAP BADGE ALSO WORN BY THE RAAF

1 Attachment(s)
HI ALL
was this badge worn by the RAAF?
it is a RAF education officers cap badge made by Firmin, and i have never seen it worn by the RAAF however, i have been looking at some pics of 2 big aussie collections and both show an example.
any confirmation is appreciated
bc

cga00 20-02-11 08:21 AM

I don't think that these were ever worn as hat badges. I think that this is a RAF education branch collar badge - and as such I would think also worn by the RAAF when in use.
Regards, Craig

badgecollector 20-02-11 09:46 AM

hi craig
thanks for the reply.
it never occured to me that this could be a collar. i have just measured it and it is 30mm tall so size wise that would make sense and wearing the standard airforce cap badge would also fit with what your saying'
thanks
bc

rockape560 20-02-11 07:06 PM

hi bc,

as an ex rockape i have to agree with the above that this is a collar badge.all ref officers wore the same hat/cap badge but with different collars for what they did.
hope this helps

philip

badgecollector 21-02-11 09:55 AM

hi guys
did these badges come in different sizes?
my badge is 30mm however the pair of collars that just sold in bosleys last auction (26 jan) lot 219 look to be 25mm at best.
any thoughts?
bc

SAS1 25-02-11 12:49 AM

These badges are a bit of a mystery...

The RAF used them as collar badges on the service dress tunic, 25mm (or so) with the eagles always facing the right. They were introduced in February 1940 under Air Ministry Order A116/40 and were to be worn with the brass VR collar badge. They were abolished in June 1948 under AMO 368/48, and that was the end of things as far as the RAF were concerned.

The RAAF also wore them, taken from the RAF and introduced shortly after them. Unlike the RAF, the Australians wore them in 'bronzed' metal or black painted metal and in two sizes, a larger one (nearer to 30mm) on the collar of the service dress tunic and a smaller one on the collar of the shirt. In 1948 in common with RAAF policy, the darkened finish gave way to gilt, before the RAAF abolished them altogether in 1949 (although not all went at that time).

I have seen larger brass versions, with English makers names on the revers and I know a dealer who has a larger brass pair at the moment that shows wear. I believe that the RAF Museum has (or had) in store a cap with one on, but I think this was supposition only and dont have any evidence it was ever worn on the cap, by either the RAF or RAAF. Margaret Nobbs, who issued 'notes' for collectors in the late 60s and 70s I think also assumed the larger was a cap badge.

In 30 years I have never been able to confirm what the larger brass ones were as I have no evidence of them ever being worn in the RAF. Its unlikely any were made larger in error by a manufacturer, so its possible the larger ones were RAAF stock, even if UK made.

badgecollector 25-02-11 04:34 AM

Hi sas1
That is fantastic information.
What you are saying makes sense and I hope it is correct as I am going to add it to my Aussie collection.
I spoke to another collector who said he swears he once had one made by stokes Melbourne, but it was in a blackened metal. I have also spoken to an old stokes employee, but he doesn’t remember these ever being made?
Who knows, but more research is definitely required.
Thanks again
BC

SAS1 25-02-11 11:30 AM

Hi

I have a bronzed one that has been [ainted black, and was going to remove it from my display card to see if it has a makers name, but Ive noted 'loose lug' so will leave it as it is. But Stokes is a well-known Aussie maker so its highly likely they made them.

Ive no proof the larger brass/gilt ones with Brit makers name were worn in the RAAF, just that I cant find any mention of them being worn in the RAF.

But Ive a photo of the darkend being worn in the RAAF, so definately so..

badgecollector 25-02-11 12:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SAS1 (Post 102310)
Hi

But Ive a photo of the darkend being worn in the RAAF, so definately so..

hi
any chance you could post the pic of the badge being worn by an aussie please?
bc

SAS1 25-02-11 01:31 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here it is, date unknown, but wartime...

badgecollector 25-02-11 10:13 PM

thanks sas1
looks to be a squadron leader? do you know who he is?
bc

SAS1 26-02-11 01:24 PM

Yes a Squadron Leader, but no identity I'm afraid..

cga00 28-02-11 09:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by badgecollector (Post 101612)
hi guys
did these badges come in different sizes?
my badge is 30mm however the pair of collars that just sold in bosleys last auction (26 jan) lot 219 look to be 25mm at best.
any thoughts?
bc

Just took a look at mine - a nice matched gilt pair, measuring 30mm across the wings and 24mm top to bottom.

cga00 28-02-11 09:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SAS1 (Post 102279)
These badges are a bit of a mystery...

The RAF used them as collar badges on the service dress tunic, 25mm (or so) with the eagles always facing the right. They were introduced in February 1940 under Air Ministry Order A116/40 and were to be worn with the brass VR collar badge. They were abolished in June 1948 under AMO 368/48, and that was the end of things as far as the RAF were concerned.

SAS1, really interesting info - I don't suppose you have a list of AMO's concerning other RAF badges do you?

SAS1 04-03-11 02:57 PM

Not a list i'm afraid, but some AMOs relating to certain badges (although they are not compiled). Let me know if there are any particular ones and i'll help if I can.

jamyam 17-09-11 05:22 PM

RAF Education Officers' collar badges

I have come across this slightly old thread but thought that the following information may be helpful. The badge was authorised in 1940 under AMWO A116. The badges were worn on the collar above the VR badge between 1940 and 1948. The larger badges (30mm high) were for service dress and the smaller ones were worn in mess dress. All Education Officers wore the standard RAF service dress cap badge.

revdougal 18-09-11 04:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rockape560 (Post 101538)
hi bc,

as an ex rockape i have to agree with the above that this is a collar badge.all ref officers wore the same hat/cap badge but with different collars for what they did.
hope this helps

philip

The sole Branch to hold out for its own badge was Chaplains, until 1 Jan 93 when it succumbed to uniformity, losing its cap badge, but gaining, it is said, a light blue clerical shirt as part of uniform. The badge has 3 fixtures, for cap badge, collar badge, and SSO/pullover/Officiating Chaplain: viz blades, lugs, and broach pin.

SAS1 19-09-11 03:40 PM

JamYam

Interesting notes. Are these direct quotes from dress regulations or Air Ministry Orders?

I ask as I question the use of the larger badge on the service Dress and smaller on the mess dress. The badge was introduced on February 22nd 1940 under Air Ministry Order (AMO - what is AMWO, its not a term Ive seen before?) 116/40, and abolished under AMO 368/48 of June 14th 1948.There was no mess dress during the war, it having been abolished for the duration, only being reintroduced about 1947. Therefore, for most of the badges life there was no mess dress for it to be worn on.

I have a pair of EO collar badges given to me by a wartime EO, and these are the small type, which he wore on his Service dress, while all photos I have seen of RAF EOs show the smaller version worn on the service dress collar. Its possible that the ruling of large for SD and small for MD was made after the war, before the badge was abolished, but its otherwise something that goes against all the evidence.