British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Royal Flying Corps and Royal Air Force (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   R.A.F. & A.A.C? (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=73345)

High Wood 21-04-19 11:49 AM

R.A.F. & A.A.C?

3 Attachment(s)
I have not seen this combination of insignia being worn before. An unknown Flight Sergeant in the R.A.F. wearing an Army Air Corps cap badge on his left breast.

silverwash 21-04-19 12:00 PM

a trait with 38 and 46 Group RAF

High Wood 21-04-19 05:36 PM

1 Attachment(s)
But were they authorised to wear them? It seems strange that they could wear the badge of a unit that they were not in, even if they were supporting them.

Here is the same chap in a Harvard during his pilot training in the U.S.

silverwash 21-04-19 06:04 PM

Apparently there was a laissez-faire attitude towards aircrew wearing A.A.C and Parachute Regiment cap badges on their tunics. Empathy and all that. Other images of this practise are known.

High Wood 21-04-19 07:07 PM

I have heard of A.T.S. girls attached to A.A. batteries, as search light operators, wearing Royal Artillery badges on their tunics.

grenadierguardsman 21-04-19 09:27 PM

Cracking photo.
Andy

tynesideirish 21-04-19 09:41 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by High Wood (Post 476160)
I have heard of A.T.S. girls attached to A.A. batteries, as search light operators, wearing Royal Artillery badges on their tunics.

That wasn't just a whim. WRAC also wore the insignia of their attachment, on certain uniforms.

Hoot 21-04-19 10:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by High Wood (Post 476119)
I have not seen this combination of insignia being worn before. An unknown Flight Sergeant in the R.A.F. wearing an Army Air Corps cap badge on his left breast.

He may have been one of the RAF pilots who flew gliders with the GPR following the GPR losses during Market Garden. They were permitted to wear the Airborne beret with RAF cap badge. I doubt wearing the AAC badge on the pocket was authorised though.

Spindlewood Cottage 03-01-21 11:11 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Glad to have found this thread, I found this RAF Jacket during a house clearance and have been researching the addition of the Parachute Regt cap badge.

Home Guard 04-01-21 03:29 AM

Here's the list of known ATS girls wearing regimental cap or collar badges on their BDs above the left pocket. I feel there are probably others, but these are all I know at present. I am not the one who started this list, but have added to it based on vintage photographic evidence.

RA Grenade
RASC Cap (or Collar)
RAOC Collar
REME Cap
Signal Corps Cap (or Collar)
Kings Crown
RAPC Cap (or collar)
RE Collar badge
RAMC Collar
Intelligence Corps Cap
Leicestershire Cap
Queens (West Surrey) Cap
20th London Cap

On a different subject sort of, American pilots who had flown in the Eagle Squadron and then moved into the USAAF were allowed to wear their RAF wings on the right chest opposite the American wings on their left cheat. Don't know if there was ever anything official to allow it but know it was done.

Terry