British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Reproductions, Restrikes, Fakes, Forgeries, and Copies (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Royal Marines Cap Badge (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=91145)

elwe23 06-10-22 10:34 AM

Royal Marines Cap Badge

1 Attachment(s)
Hi guys,

I would like to purchase a Royal Marines cap badge for green beret that could have been worn during the Normandy campaign (1944).

Here is a selection of what I found. Could anybody give me some help identifying if there are original or not and why ? (the plastic one is out of the scope).

Thanks in advance.

Alan O 06-10-22 11:05 AM

I can see nothing wrong with any of them.

Irv 06-10-22 12:29 PM

middle top would be my choice for WW2. Large flat crown.
Regards
Irv:)

Irv 06-10-22 12:33 PM

Rear of the badge picture isn't very good, just check that the definition of the stamping is similar to the first two.

elwe23 06-10-22 05:05 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Irv (Post 588563)
Rear of the badge picture isn't very good, just check that the definition of the stamping is similar to the first two.

Thanks guys. I was tempted to go with the one from the left. It looked more solid and more detailed, perhaps more bright. Are they all brass or bronze made (except the bakelite one) ?

Here are the back of the first 3 with more details I hope. Crown looks as large on the 1st no ?

cbuehler 06-10-22 11:59 PM

Any of the badges in post one could have been worn in WW2. There is no way to determine the period of manufacture. Plenty of badges made in WW1 were still issued and worn in WW2.
Any differences are solely manufacturers variations with the exception of the plastic (bakelite) one, which is unique to WW2 and it's maker.
None are brass or bronze, but gilding metal, which is an alloy of several different metals, of which there was no precise measure. The result gives badges a brighter brassy tone, or a darker copper or bronze tone as they patinate over time.
My personal favorite is the slider version, which is less common.
CB

Irv 07-10-22 12:58 AM

Don't use the slider version on a beret. Of course any of the badges could have been put on a ww2 beret, Any RM cap badge with posts made from 1923-1944 could have been used (except the slider) but IMO the large flat crown badges were ww2. If you have other opinions thats fine. Your choice.
As i said...... IMO.
:)

elwe23 07-10-22 02:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cbuehler (Post 588625)
Any of the badges in post one could have been worn in WW2. There is no way to determine the period of manufacture. Plenty of badges made in WW1 were still issued and worn in WW2.
Any differences are solely manufacturers variations with the exception of the plastic (bakelite) one, which is unique to WW2 and it's maker.
None are brass or bronze, but gilding metal, which is an alloy of several different metals, of which there was no precise measure. The result gives badges a brighter brassy tone, or a darker copper or bronze tone as they patinate over time.
CB

Thanks for your reply cbuehler. That's what I felt when I saw WW1 & WW2 with no difference from my eyes. So the bronze ones were not made to wear on Beret and BD but on khaki dress ?
I saw the Staff & Colour Sergeant's were gilt and the officers white metal globe with a separated crown. Must be difficult to find and expensive.

Alex Rice 07-10-22 07:19 AM

Quote:

CB

I am confused here? I thought this pattern of badge only came out in the 20s and prior to this the badges were the RMA & RMLI badges? Was this pattern in use before the RMA & RMLI were amalgamated?
Cheers,
Alex

Irv 07-10-22 07:46 AM

Hi Alex,
Read my post again.

Regards
Irv:)

Frank Kelley 07-10-22 08:09 AM

Not in the Royal Marines.

Quote:

Plenty of badges made in WW1 were still issued and worn in WW2.

CB

Alex Rice 07-10-22 09:21 AM

Hi Frank
Sorry, I thought you were saying the RM badges were carried over from WWI! :D:o
Cheers,
Alex

elwe23 07-10-22 10:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frank Kelley (Post 588639)
Not in the Royal Marines.

Hi Frank, so all of the badges that I posted on #1 are WW2 and not WW1 ?

Alan O 07-10-22 10:44 AM

That design dates from after 1926. (I may not have the exact date but it's about that period and not WW1)

Alan

mike_vee 07-10-22 11:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alan O (Post 588645)
That design dates from after 1926. (I may not have the exact date but it's about that period and not WW1)

Alan

RM site dates that design 1923-1953.

https://rmhistorical.com/files/content/Cap%20Badges.pdf