British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Topics. (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=31)
-   -   Monday’s Teatime Teaser - Quiz (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=77134)

Luke H 03-02-20 04:08 PM

Monday’s Teatime Teaser - Quiz

5 Attachment(s)
A quick test for the eagle eyed.

Can anyone spot why I was delighted to land this group of ‘20 restrikes’ for £40?

Phillip Herring 03-02-20 04:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Luke H (Post 499230)
A quick test for the eagle eyed.

Can anyone spot why I was delighted to land this group of ‘20 restrikes’ for £40?

Is the West Riding - looks like an officers - (and others) genuine?

54Bty 03-02-20 04:30 PM

Bottom left "King's Colonials"? Just a guess.
Marc

Luke H 03-02-20 04:32 PM

All good guesses but no cigar. On arrival I actually do believe the KC’s is genuine. That turned it into a very, very good deal.

Hint - look closely at picture 4.

dubaiguy 03-02-20 05:12 PM

Two caught my eye in picture 4.

The Gordons with the separate wording By Dand as opposed to Bydand. The number of voids is of interest and this one has nine by the look of it.

Also the Suffolk from the two tower die with the third tower added when the design changed.

Mark

Luke H 03-02-20 05:16 PM

Well spotted Mark on the converted 2 tower badge. I’ve a soft spot for those.

The Gordon’s is a bit of an unusual one the lack of voiding around the ivy spray ends I found odd.

I only had front images of these. The Suffolk’s, the mystery badge and the East Lancs were the only ones I was certain were genuine.

ricardo 03-02-20 06:40 PM

A misspelt inniskilling fusiliers! The cinque ports looks
genuine as well, Nice one Luke!

Luke H 03-02-20 06:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ricardo (Post 499253)
A misspelt inniskilling fusiliers! The cinque ports looks
genuine as well, Nice one Luke!

Bingo! Well spotted ricardo.

The incorrect spelling Royal Inneskilling Fusiliers.

dubaiguy 03-02-20 06:47 PM

Hi Luke
I'm afraid I'm not with you on your soft spot for the genuine Suffolks. Though I have this one too (and it took a while to get) they sure do have the look of melting battlements - 'all the sweet green icing flowing down, someone left the cake out in the rain' - sorry mate lost it there in a Donna Summer moment.

Right, back on track.

I wouldn't be too harsh on your Gordons. Might be, might not be. I have a couple with the By Dand scroll and others with various combinations of voids - not necessarily the ivy ends.

All the best
Mark

Luke H 03-02-20 07:11 PM

6 Attachment(s)
Hi Mark,

Completely understand. For me they’re a bit like my Lambourne ‘so bad they’re good’ oxymoron.

Haha. I hadn’t heard that one until now.

Will have a look at the Gordon’s properly tomorrow and make my mind up. Am spending my evening looking at these two.

I’m convinced the KC’s is genuine. The loops are growing and don’t have feet, nice gold braze joining the two sides of the wire together which I feel is always a good sign. Quality of the reverse strike is lovely and crisp. The metal is correct too. Add to that the other KC’s badges this dealer sold were all good.

It proves the point of judging each badge on its merits rather than taking sellers (even experienced ones) at their word for what is ‘genuine’ and also ‘fake/restrike’ as they can be wrong.

Thankfully these didn’t end up in a bin!

Cheers,

Luke

Sonofacqms 03-02-20 07:17 PM

Luke,
What a well spent £40, you must be pleased with that deal, the Suffolk badge is a good one and getting hard to find despite the poor manufacturing finish.

Rob

mooke07 03-02-20 07:39 PM

Nice pick up all round Luke. Yes the King’s Colonials 2nd pattern Regimental ORs badge is genuine. Worth it just for that, cheers Dean.

Luke H 03-02-20 07:49 PM

Thanks gents, very pleased indeed!
Cheers,
Luke