British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Topics (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=56)
-   -   SERVICE WOUNDED STRIPE (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=61830)

JIMBODIXON 10-05-17 04:41 AM

SERVICE WOUNDED STRIPE

2 Attachment(s)
Hi Everyone,
I know this subject has been featured over time on the forum, but I have not seen this particular version before. The stripe is 2 inches long and on the back-plate there is reference to "No 2". I have seen a No.4. Is there a no.1 or 3. Does anyone know what the numbers mean? Also, the stripe is secured to the plate by bent over lugs - not the usual lugs on other examples I have seen.
Jim
PS - this is pretty special to me as my Grandfather 3018 Arthur Leslie Beattie 8th Battalion A.I.F would have been entitled to wear 3 of these as he was gassed and hospitalised on three seperate occasions.

magpie 10-05-17 07:13 AM

1 Attachment(s)
A couple more, I take it they are all wound stripes.

manchesters 10-05-17 08:18 AM

Jim,

In WW1 there were No.2 and No. 4 manufactured, the No.2's having the impracticable fold over tangs to the rear and were replaced by the loops on the No. 4.

I have never seen or heard of No.'s 1 & 3, but logic says they must have been created, but probably never accepted or made.

I have 2 different types of No. 2 and 8 different types of No. 4.

regards

manchesters 10-05-17 08:20 AM

Magpie,

Yes all wound stripes WW1 apart from the bullion.

Interesting to see the sew on metal wound stripe, not seen that before.
Does it look to have been manufactured like that or adapted by the wearer?

regards

magpie 10-05-17 04:14 PM

The stitch on stripe was made that way and not a converted no4 with a flat back, the bullion one seems to be made of golden colour silk with that herring bone pattern just as the metal stripes and is also the same length as the pronged version.

Rob Miller 10-05-17 05:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by magpie (Post 404886)

The twin cloth stripes shown left could be a post 1949 Civil Defence rank badge.

http://www.britishbadgeforum.com/for...ctureid=112303

Rob

magpie 10-05-17 06:22 PM

Thank you Rob :-) looks like it.

JIMBODIXON 10-05-17 10:51 PM

WOUND STRIPE NO 2

Quote:

Originally Posted by manchesters (Post 404897)
Jim,

In WW1 there were No.2 and No. 4 manufactured, the No.2's having the impracticable fold over tangs to the rear and were replaced by the loops on the No. 4.

I have never seen or heard of No.'s 1 & 3, but logic says they must have been created, but probably never accepted or made.

I have 2 different types of No. 2 and 8 different types of No. 4.

regards

Thanks Simon,
That explains my questions completely. Any chance of posting pics of the 2 different types of No.2 ?
regards,
Jim

JIMBODIXON 10-05-17 10:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by magpie (Post 404886)

Thanks for your input and pics, magpie.
regards,
Jim

Tinto 10-05-17 11:59 PM

Hi All,
An interesting thread.
In addition to those mentioned above, I have a wound stripe that had 4 tangs, now just three remaining.
Also a wound stripe marked "LAMBOURNE'S BIRMINGHAM" with back plate marked "UNTARNISHABLE STRIPE CHEMICALLY TREATED".
Cheers, Tinto

manchesters 11-05-17 07:01 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Jim,

See photo. One by Simon & Sons Ltd, Birmingham, a popular maker of both No. 2 and No. 4 Wound Stripes.

The other un-named.

Other makers of No. 4 Wound Stripes are ESCO & Lambournes

regards

JIMBODIXON 11-05-17 10:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by manchesters (Post 404991)
Jim,

See photo. One by Simon & Sons Ltd, Birmingham, a popular maker of both No. 2 and No. 4 Wound Stripes.

The other un-named.

Other makers of No. 4 Wound Stripes are ESCO & Lambournes

regards

Many thanks Simon. The one I have is by Simon & Sons Ltd.
regards,
Jim

JIMBODIXON 11-05-17 10:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tinto (Post 404984)
Hi All,
An interesting thread.
In addition to those mentioned above, I have a wound stripe that had 4 tangs, now just three remaining.
Also a wound stripe marked "LAMBOURNE'S BIRMINGHAM" with back plate marked "UNTARNISHABLE STRIPE CHEMICALLY TREATED".
Cheers, Tinto

Hi Tinto,
Any chance of a pic of the 4 tang stripe?
Regards,
Jim

Tinto 11-05-17 08:07 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Hi Jim,
Here are my wound stripes. I'm reluctant to remove the tanged one (maybe I should say tabbed, not tanged) from the card in case I break them off.
The tabbed one is to the right of the drum, next to it is one with a single tab at top end but that cannot be seen in the rear view.
Hope this helps.
Regards, Tinto

JIMBODIXON 11-05-17 10:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tinto (Post 405080)
Hi Jim,
Here are my wound stripes. I'm reluctant to remove the tanged one (maybe I should say tabbed, not tanged) from the card in case I break them off.
The tabbed one is to the right of the drum, next to it is one with a single tab at top end but that cannot be seen in the rear view.
Hope this helps.
Regards, Tinto

Many thanks for that Tinto,
regards
Jim