British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   It's a Mystery -Unknown Insignia for Identification (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   A Household Division "Septum Juncta In Uno" Cloth Badge? (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=76311)

leigh kitchen 07-12-19 02:53 PM

A Household Division "Septum Juncta In Uno" Cloth Badge?

2 Attachment(s)
Does anyone know what this is please?
Presumably it's connected to the The Household Division.
It has the appearance of a beret badge but is it a formation sign worn by attached personnel, by civilian staff or by a training unit?

I've seen a reference to it being "possibly" worn by Household Division WRAC, I don't see it as being a version of their Trained Soldier badge.

Hawthorn 07-12-19 03:21 PM

Leigh,

Certainly when I was an Instructor at the Guards Depot in the 80's I never saw the WRAC attached staff wearing anything similar. Possibly a sports or shooting badge for a Guards Depot Team although the size seems small.

Simon.

leigh kitchen 07-12-19 03:34 PM

Thanks, yes, it seems small for sports or shooting badge (I should've posted its dimensions but didn't have a measure to hand).
It's size and overall appearance suggest beret badge but I can't see it being worn as such or on a helmet cover given the style of Guards beret badges and backings and no apparent reason for Guards personnel to wear a Household Division badge.

leigh kitchen 07-12-19 03:42 PM

Perhaps a shooting team or Household Division Yacht Club baseball cap badge?
(But please, not a badge for one of those regimental Teddy bears......).

grey_green_acorn 07-12-19 03:55 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Leigh,
Given that Septum is part of human nose I suspect an error or fake, whatever it is!

Here are two larger sports badges correctly spelt (in Latin) SEPTEM

Tim

grenadierguardsman 07-12-19 04:03 PM

Tracksuits badges i believe.
Andy

grey_green_acorn 07-12-19 04:09 PM

2 Attachment(s)
I have one as shown by Leigh in first post. It clearly has been worn somewhere. Also a possible predecessor with ‘Quinque Juncta in Uno’

Tim

leigh kitchen 07-12-19 04:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by grey_green_acorn (Post 494217)
Leigh,
Given that Septum is part of human nose I suspect an error or fake, whatever it is!

Here are two larger sports badges correctly spelt (in Latin) SEPTEM

Tim

Thanks (auto "correct" strikes - is not septum the bit where Hitler grew his 'tache, 'twixt snout and upper lip? Now that was a good, manly look, spoiled for the rest of us by a few bad 'uns).
I hadn't noticed the misspelling on the badge - the reverse of the badge is similar to that of some beret badges I have.

leigh kitchen 07-12-19 04:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by grenadierguardsman (Post 494218)
Tracksuits badges i believe.
Andy

Ta, could be, although small.

leigh kitchen 07-12-19 04:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by grey_green_acorn (Post 494220)
I have one as shown by Leigh in first post. It clearly has been worn somewhere. Also a possible predecessor with ‘Qunque Juncta in Uno’

Tim

The design on a small, dark blue "patch" precedes 1959 then, albeit in the "Quinque" version.

leigh kitchen 11-12-19 07:09 AM

An embroidered version of the badge but with the correct "Septem" spelling was part of a collection of ATS / WRAC insignia offered for sale at auction (I haven't a note of the date).
It was paired with a WRAC anod. al. Trained Soldier breast badge and labelled as " may have been worn on jersey or overalls, or even in a beret".