British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Topics. (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=31)
-   -   FANY badge query (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=77371)

Sonofacqms 16-02-20 02:59 PM

FANY badge query

2 Attachment(s)
I am sorting through my FANY badges and found this badge, it is of recent manufacture IMO and as the FANY are still in existence and actually recruiting according to their website I am wondering if it is a currently worn badge by the unit.

Any help welcome, thanks for looking.

Rob

engr9266 16-02-20 04:12 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I believe that they are now called "PRINCESS ROYAL VOLUNTEER CORPS"

Jerry

Sonofacqms 16-02-20 05:40 PM

Thanks Jerry, I am not sure as to whether this badge is an original or a repro, depends on the date of title change.

Rob

engr9266 17-02-20 08:22 AM

You can find their history here on goggle - Fany princess royal's volunteer corps
The FANY was officially renamed the Princess Royal's Volunteer Corps in 1999, after being given permission by Anne, Princess Royal to use her title, and is now referred to as FANY (PRVC). The original name has greater recognition, and greater prominence even in official publications and on its website.

Sonofacqms 17-02-20 09:16 AM

FANY

Again, thanks Jerry, I did look it up and the website is very informative, it was late last night, so I did not post.
Regards Rob

Home Guard 16-04-20 02:58 AM

If you look at the PRVC web site you will see that some of the members are wearing this style of badge, However, I have not been able to determine if it this one with WTS and then FANY at he bottom or the original one that said First Aid Nursing Yeomanry only in the circle.

Remember, the WTS with FANY was worn by those FANYs who went with the ATS during WW2, and those that remained FANYs were called the "Free FANYs".

Just FYI, I have written to the PRVC several times, but never got any replies.

Hope this is of some help.

Terry

leigh kitchen 16-04-20 07:59 AM

4 Attachment(s)
One I have, picked up in June 1991, note the untidy brazing and the "flash" at 10 o'clock.
I've "always" viewed it as a little suspect, not that that stopped me getting it.

leigh kitchen 16-04-20 01:31 PM

Badges of The British Army by R Hodges (published 2005 and showing insignia in wear at that time) shows the "Women's Transport Service FANY" OSD badge we're discussing with matching collar badges as those of The First Aid Nursing Yeomanry (The Princess Royal's Volunteer Corps).
The cap badge 3.5 cm diameter, the collars 2.75 cm.

It states that the "cap badge was originally introduced shortly after the corps was raised in 1907 and altered to the present design in 1937. The wire embroidered beret badge was altered when the title of the corps was changed in 2002."

The claret, light blue and silver wire embroidered beret badge is shown worded as "Princess Royal's Volunteer Corps".

"When operating in civilian clothes FANY are identified by an enamelled brooch. In 2004 silver replicas of the cap and collar badges were introduced for sale as brooches. The Commanding Officer has a special brooch passed down to each in succession, in enamel and marcasite.

The enamelled brooch is shown in claret and light blue with bronzed detail, 3 cm in diameter.
It's worded as "First Aid Nursing Yeomanry".

The silver brooches are captioned "New silver brooches to the design of the cap badge 3.5 cm and collar badge 2.75 cm", however the wording on them is "First Aid Nursing Yeomanry".

tonyb 16-04-20 02:34 PM

2 Attachment(s)
My J.R.Gaunt maker marked example.
Tony.