British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Reproductions, Restrikes, Fakes, Forgeries, and Copies (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Theatre made or fake (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=77319)

Sonofacqms 13-02-20 09:19 PM

Theatre made or fake

2 Attachment(s)
I have had this Royal Artillery/SEAC title some while, I think it came in a job lot and I discarded it as a fake which I think it is due to the spaghetti sewing.

However, is there a chance it was theatre made?

Thanks for looking

Rob

Pembird 13-02-20 09:34 PM

They look original to me.

dumdum 14-02-20 02:12 AM

Looks like perfectly genuine, but common, titles I've seen that have been made in the Far East.

Sonofacqms 15-02-20 10:36 AM

Theatre made or fake

I am surprised that only two members commented on this post, both favourable, thanks chaps.

I would have thought more members would have given their opinions, still for now I will hang on to the item.

Regards Rob

Postwarden 15-02-20 11:24 AM

3 Attachment(s)
Absolutely fine and typical of many made in SEAC.

Others shown.

Jon

Sonofacqms 15-02-20 11:34 AM

Theatre made

Jon,
Thanks for your thoughts and showing similar items, I do regard many items these days as suspect due to the fact that high prices are commanded by certain cloth badges especially special forces insignia.

This particular item will now be added to my Artillery badge boards.

Rob

High Wood 15-02-20 11:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sonofacqms (Post 500238)
I have had this Royal Artillery/SEAC title some while, I think it came in a job lot and I discarded it as a fake which I think it is due to the spaghetti sewing.

However, is there a chance it was theatre made?

Thanks for looking

Rob

The people doing the spaghetti sewing now are the descendants of those who made the badges 75 years ago using the same methods. The spaghetti sewing is a factor in identifying fake cloth only if the original title was not bazaar made.

No 9 Commando, for example, did not order their shoulder titles from Rawalpindi bazaars. A lot of Indian Army and SEAC units almost certainly did, especially for small production runs.

Mike B 15-02-20 01:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by High Wood (Post 500422)
The people doing the spaghetti sewing now are the descendants of those who made the badges 75 years ago using the same methods. The spaghetti sewing is a factor in identifying fake cloth only if the original title was not bazaar made.

No 9 Commando, for example, did not order their shoulder titles from Rawalpindi bazaars. A lot of Indian Army and SEAC units almost certainly did, especially for small production runs.

High Wood
I am slightly confused - No.9 Cdo were not in the far east. They were part of 2 SS/ Cdo Bde in the Mediterranean. Some Theatre made examples for units of 2 SS / Cdo Bde were made in the Mediterranean Theatre though - particularly for 2 Cdo. Of the units of 3 SS / Cdo Bde in the Far East - several have theatre made examples ie No.1 Cdo, No.5 Cdo, No.44 (RM) Cdo.
Al the best
Mike

High Wood 15-02-20 03:54 PM

No need to be confused, not even slightly. My point was that 9 Commando were not in the Far East. If one of their cloth shoulder titles turns up on a dealer's list and has the spaghetti like characteristics of a bazaar made badge, it is almost certainly a modern copy made in the Indian sub Continent.

I agree that some overseas units would have sourced cloth badges locally. I probably should have used a better example than No 9 Commando to illustrate my point.

Mike B 15-02-20 05:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by High Wood (Post 500447)
No need to be confused, not even slightly. My point was that 9 Commando were not in the Far East. If one of their cloth shoulder titles turns up on a dealer's list and has the spaghetti like characteristics of a bazaar made badge, it is almost certainly a modern copy made in the Indian sub Continent.

I agree that some overseas units would have sourced cloth badges locally. I probably should have used a better example than No 9 Commando to illustrate my point.

Many thanks for the clarification - me being a bit slow - I see what you mean now
Mike