British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   It's a Mystery -Unknown Insignia for Identification (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Any ideas on this one please? (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=26138)

grey_green_acorn 19-07-12 09:10 PM

Any ideas on this one please?

1 Attachment(s)
Can any member identify this cloth badge about 70mm in diameter featuring UK tri-service colours an Army Air Corps style eagle and images of an elephant, snake and an "eye".

Possibly some kind of airborne surveillance unit??

Tim

Mike Jackson 20-07-12 06:43 AM

It seems to be a sort of heraldic mixed metaphor dreamed up by some under-employed Imagery Analysts to me, possibly in the Counter-IED role? The eye is the Eye of Horus, ancient Egyptian symbol of protection and the elephant's head features (or used to feature) as the battery badge of 137 (Java) Bty RA. But a snake...? Could the eagle be an interpretation of the 16 Air Asslt Bde bird rather than that of the AAC?

grey_green_acorn 20-07-12 09:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike Jackson (Post 176072)
It seems to be a sort of heraldic mixed metaphor dreamed up by some under-employed Imagery Analysts to me, possibly in the Counter-IED role? The eye is the Eye of Horus, ancient Egyptian symbol of protection and the elephant's head features (or used to feature) as the battery badge of 137 (Java) Bty RA. But a snake...? Could the eagle be an interpretation of the 16 Air Asslt Bde bird rather than that of the AAC?

Mike,
Yes looking that way and it is more like the 16 Air Assault Brigade eagle - I have handled the badge - it exists! Perhaps connected with UAVs (Unmanned Aerial Vehicle).

Tim

grey_green_acorn 25-07-12 09:26 PM

Bumping up!

Any other ideas please?

Tim

Rockape 25-07-12 10:15 PM

The most striking feature is the joint service colours. Then the symbols seem to represent intelligence across the globe. Eye of horus explained; memory of an elephant and as quick as a snake. The hawk is the symbol of RAF Brampton. Put those together and it could well be a unit within JARIC such as the National Imagery Exploitation Centre. It could also be the joint service UAV (Reaper) pilots (39 Sqn RAF) operating in theatre. Another possibility is a FAC patch previously unseen.

It could be none of those but it makes a good guessing game :)

Staffsyeoman 26-07-12 10:32 AM

JARIC's symbol WAS actually the face of a Lynx; but like so much now its original badges have been swallowed up by Joint Force Command with original insignia forbidden on public facing media. I'm being necessarily cryptic. I've not seen this badge anywhere yet but may ask around.

Mike Jackson 26-07-12 10:58 AM

JARIC

1 Attachment(s)
Herewith the late, lamented Lynx:
Attachment 67047

grey_green_acorn 26-07-12 05:50 PM

Thanks to all for the info so far. The badge belongs to a fellow member of the B&CMBF who has put enquiries in hand on other forums. We may yet discover the identity!

Tim

54Bty 14-02-13 11:04 PM

It is very similar to other National Afghan Army badges.

Marc

carl pierce 15-02-13 12:50 AM

raf nimrod pilot ,observer etc , but the triangle is more widely used in masonic emblems , so are the eagle and the eye

crest-insignia 15-02-13 08:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 54Bty (Post 201084)
It is very similar to other National Afghan Army badges.

Marc

Marc
It was removed [by me] from a British Desert DPM shirt last year.

The image has also been circulated amongst the 'Chute & Dagger' members to no avail.

Toby

Unknownsoldier 15-02-13 10:19 AM

TBH in theatre you can have most anything made up, and I have badges worn and bought in the 'ghan I have no idea what they are, Sadly. :(

54Bty 15-02-13 02:13 PM

It is still a similar design to many of the NAA badges.

Marc :)

grey_green_acorn 16-07-13 07:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by grey_green_acorn (Post 176028)
Can any member identify this cloth badge about 70mm in diameter featuring UK tri-service colours an Army Air Corps style eagle and images of an elephant, snake and an "eye".

Possibly some kind of airborne surveillance unit??

Tim

Attributed on eBay as 904 Expeditionary Air Wing, Kandahar Airfield, Afghanistan

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1710725647...84.m1438.l2649

Tim

airtrooper 19-06-22 05:50 AM

I can confirm this patch as being 904 EAW. It included 47 Sqn RAF.