British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Anodised Aluminium Badges (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=82)
-   -   1st Devon Rifle Volunteers (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=41589)

Mike H 06-09-14 05:00 PM

1st Devon Rifle Volunteers

4 Attachment(s)
Just arrived.

54Bty 06-09-14 09:25 PM

Is that now yours? :eek: :D

Marc :)

hagwalther 07-09-14 12:50 AM

Hi Guys,

This badge is covering in my book.

Here are some notes from page 548. There is also a larger write up about it in the chapter about Territorial Army cap badges:

1. In 1967 The Devonshire Territorials became The Devonshire Territorials (Royal Devon Yeomanry/1st Rifle Volunteers), RAC (TA).

2. At the 178th Meeting of the Army Dress Committee, held on 12th April 1967, the Committee decided to approve the Royal Armoured Corps cap badge for wear by The Devonshire Territorials (Royal Devon Yeomanry/1st Rifle Volunteers), RAC (TA) and all sub-units before replacement by their own design.

3. At the 179th Meeting of the Army Dress Committee, held on 31st May 1967, the Committee decided to approve the pencilled sketch design No. 0.2477 for the gold & silver A/A cap badge for all ranks of The Devonshire Territorials (Royal Devon Yeomanry/1st Rifle Volunteers), RAC (TA), subject to modification as required by the regiment.

4. At the 186th Meeting of the Army Dress Committee, held on 29th May 1968, approval was made for The Devonshire Territorials (Royal Devon Yeomanry/1st Rifle Volunteers), RAC (TA) and ‘D’ Squadron (Royal Devon Yeomanry/1st Rifle Volunteers) of The Royal Wessex Yeomanry (TA) to wear the cap badge of The Devonshire Territorials before development of the new cap badge for The Devonshire Territorials (Royal Devon Yeomanry/1st Rifle Volunteers), RAC (TA) had completed. At the same meeting the Committee inspected and approved, subject to unit approval, the finished samples of the cap badge for The Devonshire Territorials (Royal Devon Yeomanry/The 1st Rifle Volunteers): Badge, Cap, gold and silver A/A for soldiers. Sketch design No. 0.2477. It was noted that no further action was to be taken at that time.

5. See Chapter 17 - A Tangle of Territorials for a greater insight to this unit.

In effect, it is possibly one of the prototypes noted in item 4. above. None were ever batch manufactured for issue as further confirmed by the letter from the MoD to Gaunt (which is shown above in Mike's original post) stating that only six samples were made.

Question for Mike - Makers marking; can you confirm that the 'G' in GAUNT has a flat or rounded bottom and is there a full stop after LTD?

If Mike can confirm what I think I can see then I would say that the badge is a good example of one of the six prototypes.

Regards

Chris

William 07-09-14 04:47 AM

Thanks for this good info, Chris. The badge seems to be not unknown, but of course it is very rare indeed.

Congratulations to Mike H on this new addition to your collection, as well as associated paperwork; I get the impression that this badge was cornered only after a determined effort by you. Well done mate!

I wonder where the remaining five badges are?

Best regards

William

hagwalther 07-09-14 04:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by William (Post 276456)
Thanks for this good info, Chris. The badge seems to be not unknown, but of course it is very rare indeed.

Congratulations to Mike H on this new addition to your collection, as well as associated paperwork; I get the impression that this badge was cornered only after a determined effort by you. Well done mate!

Best regards

William

Hi William,

Possibly attached to Master and Standard pattern cards.

Regards

Chris

Mike H 07-09-14 06:51 AM

Yes Marc it is mine.

The "G" appears to be flat bottomed but there is no full stop.

The source of the badge is beyond question,so I have no doubts about the provenance.

hagwalther 07-09-14 07:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike H (Post 276463)
Yes Marc it is mine.

The "G" appears to be flat bottomed but there is no full stop.

The source of the badge is beyond question,so I have no doubts about the provenance.

Hi Mike,

The marker mark is therefore good and of the correct era. It reconciles with a sealed pattern example in the IWM.

Regards

Chris

Mike H 07-09-14 07:01 AM

From what im aware of there is at least one other badge that is about .It was held by a forum member until a short time ago. who has it now ,I don't know.

Mike H 07-09-14 08:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hagwalther (Post 276464)
Hi Mike,

The marker mark is therefore good and of the correct era. It reconciles with a sealed pattern example in the IWM.

Regards

Chris

I couldn't find the sealed pattern card in the archive when I searched through. And I did spend a lot of time looking.

hagwalther 07-09-14 08:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike H (Post 276474)
I couldn't find the sealed pattern card in the archive when I searched through. And I did spend a lot of time looking.

Hi Mike,

Sealed pattern that I was referring to, with this maker mark, is on an A/A version of the rare The Honourable Artillery Company (TA) (Infantry - WO1, Staff Sergeants and Sergeants) cap badge.

Regards

Chris

54Bty 07-09-14 10:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike H (Post 276463)
Yes Marc it is mine.

Wonderful.

Mike H 07-09-14 11:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 54Bty (Post 276484)
Wonderful.

Very pleased to find it Marc. Especially with the letter and sketch.

gus-gemma 08-09-14 02:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by William (Post 276456)

Best regards

William

I had 1 sold it in my collection also know where there is another 1 in a collection Richard

ukbrits 26-02-21 12:13 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Hi Gents,
Here's another only 4 more to find now?
Regards
Colin

William 26-02-21 04:56 PM

If I hadn't seen this with my own eyes, I wouldn't have believed it!

Congratulations, Colin! Very well done indeed!

Welcome to the club! 😊😊😊

William

ukbrits 26-02-21 05:59 PM

Thanks William,
Only took about 10 years to find one!!!
Hopefully a few more will turn up in the coming years.

Brilliant documentation from Mike H in the first place otherwise we may have thought it was just a "fantasy badge".

Regards
Colin

gus-gemma 26-02-21 06:19 PM

Devon

The 1that I had I got from Baz Bluntlet years ago paid him £40 it went to Lew Shotton when it ha my collection

Beckford 27-02-21 01:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hagwalther (Post 276449)

4. At the 186th Meeting of the Army Dress Committee, held on 29th May 1968, approval was made for The Devonshire Territorials (Royal Devon Yeomanry/1st Rifle Volunteers), RAC (TA) and ‘D’ Squadron (Royal Devon Yeomanry/1st Rifle Volunteers) of The Royal Wessex Yeomanry (TA) to wear the cap badge of The Devonshire Territorials before development of the new cap badge for The Devonshire Territorials (Royal Devon Yeomanry/1st Rifle Volunteers), RAC (TA) had completed. At the same meeting the Committee inspected and approved, subject to unit approval, the finished samples of the cap badge for The Devonshire Territorials (Royal Devon Yeomanry/The 1st Rifle Volunteers): Badge, Cap, gold and silver A/A for soldiers. Sketch design No. 0.2477. It was noted that no further action was to be taken at that time.

Chris,
The Wessex Yeomanry was not formed until 1971, being raised from cadres of the R Wilts Yeo, R Glos Hussars and Devonshire Territorials (Royal Devon Yeomanry/1st Rifle Volunteers); it was only granted "Royal" status in 1979. Given this, could the ADC meeting of 29.5.68 have referenced D (RDY) Sqn, Wessex Yeo?

The 'Historical Journal of the Royal Wessex Yeomanry Historical' (published by the Regt in 1980 contains some interesting stuff on the Devonshire Territorials:
- the unit was reduced to cadre strength in 1969
- following the cadre's annual camp in 1969 (in the form of attachment to 3RTR at Tidworth), it was given "the honour of being allowed to wear the RTR black beret and cap badge".
- the '1st Rifle Volunteers' part of the title was dropped in 1973/4 [the Journal is not clear on exactly when], as 'E' Coy 1st Wessex Regt had assumed the secondary title "Rifle Volunteers" and "also their silver".
- "Up until the autumn of 1976 the Squadron had continued to wear the mailed fist cap badge of the RAC", when it was replaced by the RDY badge. [Presumably the RAC badge - and dark blue beret - had replaced the RTR badge and beret when the cadre became D Sqn WxY?]

Hope this is of interest!

Clive

hagwalther 27-02-21 07:42 PM

Hi Clive,

I've been through a few bits of official doco I own on this subject for this era and have to admit that in this case I can not longer find any reference to:

‘D’ Squadron (Royal Devon Yeomanry/1st Rifle Volunteers) of The Royal Wessex Yeomanry (TA)

As such, I have to admit that this part of my text is in error although why I put it in currently remains a mystery to me!

Quick Edit: The Royal Devon Yeomanry now serves as ‘D’ Squadron (Royal Devon Yeomanry/1st Rifle Volunteers) of The Royal Wessex Yeomanry (TA). It did not when 186th Meeting of the Army Dress Committee was held.

The error seems to be a timing issue and is regretted.

Chris

Restrikes-ok 01-03-21 05:11 PM

Ok please excuse my laziness in not researching, but what is the difference this between this badge and voided castle staybrite badge with the wreath ?

54Bty 01-03-21 06:28 PM

The badge and the wording are different.

Marc

Restrikes-ok 02-03-21 12:54 PM

So i see, so this is the final design of badge for what was obviously a short lived regiment.

Mike H 21-03-21 05:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Restrikes-ok (Post 540790)
So i see, so this is the final design of badge for what was obviously a short lived regiment.

I think you've got a muddle. The 1st Rifle Volunteers badge was related to the Royal Devon Yeomanry. The Devon territorials was infantry.

Restrikes-ok 26-03-21 12:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike H (Post 543092)
I think you've got a muddle. The 1st Rifle Volunteers badge was related to the Royal Devon Yeomanry. The Devon territorials was infantry.

I've got a muddle ? Sounds like Cav / Inf crossbreeding that should have never happened and was quickly reversed :D. Nice badges though.

JerryBB 14-02-23 10:02 AM

a very rare badge with associated paperwork from Gaunt, though never issued I assume?

So only 4 left to find....

Calpe 16-02-23 08:36 AM

1st Devon Rifle Voilunteers

2 Attachment(s)
One down, three to go? Although I knew it is not a common badge I wasn't aware of its rarity. Added to my collection in 2022 at a reasonable price.

Ian

Mike H 16-02-23 04:14 PM

4 to go ,the paperwork says 6 samples.

bess55 16-02-23 04:21 PM

Good work Ian!

Calpe 16-02-23 04:51 PM

Thanks Bess. My second rare find of 2022. Roll on 2023!!

Ian

William 16-02-23 04:57 PM

UK Brits also has one.

This means only three left to find?

Cheers all.

William

Mike H 16-02-23 05:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by William (Post 596853)
UK Brits also has one.

This means only three left to find?

Cheers all.

William

Oh right ok,hes never mentioned it to me

William 16-02-23 05:36 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Image FYI.

Best regards

William

girlingm 22-05-23 11:28 AM

EXETER AND SOUTH DEVON RIFLE VOLUNTEER CORPS CAP BADGE 1852-1885

I bought this in Newton Abbot, Devon in about 1972.
Just found out what it was.
Semper Fidelis and the arms of Exeter.

girlingm 22-05-23 11:34 AM

3 Attachment(s)
EXETER AND SOUTH DEVON RIFLE VOLUNTEER CORPS CAP BADGE 1852-1885 rare
Semper Fidelis Rare badge. The badge represents the coat of arms of Exeter.
I bought this in Newton Abbot, Devon in about 1972.
I never know what it was until this week!
Beautiful historic badge.
Both lugs are good.
50mm x 35mm.

3dg 22-05-23 06:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by girlingm (Post 603149)
I bought this in Newton Abbot, Devon in about 1970.
I never know what it was until a couple of days ago.

That's a nice badge.
May I see the back please.
Also, where in Newton Abbot did you get this if you don't mind me asking?
Cheers
Chris

girlingm 23-05-23 08:51 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Semper Fidelis Rare badge. The badge represents the coat of arms of Exeter.
I bought this in Newton Abbot, Antique shop on the Totnes Road, Devon in about 1972.
I got it for my Christmas present when I was 14. 100 badges for GBP3.00. Wow!
I never know what this badge was until this week!
Beautiful historic badge.
Both lugs are good.
50mm x 35mm.

girlingm 24-05-23 10:42 AM

I have put 3 pictures of badge.