British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Anodised Aluminium Badges (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=82)
-   -   1st Devon Rifle Volunteers (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=41589)

Mike H 06-09-14 05:00 PM

1st Devon Rifle Volunteers

4 Attachment(s)
Just arrived.

54Bty 06-09-14 09:25 PM

Is that now yours? :eek: :D

Marc :)

hagwalther 07-09-14 12:50 AM

Hi Guys,

This badge is covering in my book.

Here are some notes from page 548. There is also a larger write up about it in the chapter about Territorial Army cap badges:

1. In 1967 The Devonshire Territorials became The Devonshire Territorials (Royal Devon Yeomanry/1st Rifle Volunteers), RAC (TA).

2. At the 178th Meeting of the Army Dress Committee, held on 12th April 1967, the Committee decided to approve the Royal Armoured Corps cap badge for wear by The Devonshire Territorials (Royal Devon Yeomanry/1st Rifle Volunteers), RAC (TA) and all sub-units before replacement by their own design.

3. At the 179th Meeting of the Army Dress Committee, held on 31st May 1967, the Committee decided to approve the pencilled sketch design No. 0.2477 for the gold & silver A/A cap badge for all ranks of The Devonshire Territorials (Royal Devon Yeomanry/1st Rifle Volunteers), RAC (TA), subject to modification as required by the regiment.

4. At the 186th Meeting of the Army Dress Committee, held on 29th May 1968, approval was made for The Devonshire Territorials (Royal Devon Yeomanry/1st Rifle Volunteers), RAC (TA) and ‘D’ Squadron (Royal Devon Yeomanry/1st Rifle Volunteers) of The Royal Wessex Yeomanry (TA) to wear the cap badge of The Devonshire Territorials before development of the new cap badge for The Devonshire Territorials (Royal Devon Yeomanry/1st Rifle Volunteers), RAC (TA) had completed. At the same meeting the Committee inspected and approved, subject to unit approval, the finished samples of the cap badge for The Devonshire Territorials (Royal Devon Yeomanry/The 1st Rifle Volunteers): Badge, Cap, gold and silver A/A for soldiers. Sketch design No. 0.2477. It was noted that no further action was to be taken at that time.

5. See Chapter 17 - A Tangle of Territorials for a greater insight to this unit.

In effect, it is possibly one of the prototypes noted in item 4. above. None were ever batch manufactured for issue as further confirmed by the letter from the MoD to Gaunt (which is shown above in Mike's original post) stating that only six samples were made.

Question for Mike - Makers marking; can you confirm that the 'G' in GAUNT has a flat or rounded bottom and is there a full stop after LTD?

If Mike can confirm what I think I can see then I would say that the badge is a good example of one of the six prototypes.

Regards

Chris

William 07-09-14 04:47 AM

Thanks for this good info, Chris. The badge seems to be not unknown, but of course it is very rare indeed.

Congratulations to Mike H on this new addition to your collection, as well as associated paperwork; I get the impression that this badge was cornered only after a determined effort by you. Well done mate!

I wonder where the remaining five badges are?

Best regards

William

hagwalther 07-09-14 04:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by William (Post 276456)
Thanks for this good info, Chris. The badge seems to be not unknown, but of course it is very rare indeed.

Congratulations to Mike H on this new addition to your collection, as well as associated paperwork; I get the impression that this badge was cornered only after a determined effort by you. Well done mate!

Best regards

William

Hi William,

Possibly attached to Master and Standard pattern cards.

Regards

Chris

Mike H 07-09-14 06:51 AM

Yes Marc it is mine.

The "G" appears to be flat bottomed but there is no full stop.

The source of the badge is beyond question,so I have no doubts about the provenance.

hagwalther 07-09-14 07:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike H (Post 276463)
Yes Marc it is mine.

The "G" appears to be flat bottomed but there is no full stop.

The source of the badge is beyond question,so I have no doubts about the provenance.

Hi Mike,

The marker mark is therefore good and of the correct era. It reconciles with a sealed pattern example in the IWM.

Regards

Chris

Mike H 07-09-14 07:01 AM

From what im aware of there is at least one other badge that is about .It was held by a forum member until a short time ago. who has it now ,I don't know.

Mike H 07-09-14 08:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hagwalther (Post 276464)
Hi Mike,

The marker mark is therefore good and of the correct era. It reconciles with a sealed pattern example in the IWM.

Regards

Chris

I couldn't find the sealed pattern card in the archive when I searched through. And I did spend a lot of time looking.

hagwalther 07-09-14 08:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike H (Post 276474)
I couldn't find the sealed pattern card in the archive when I searched through. And I did spend a lot of time looking.

Hi Mike,

Sealed pattern that I was referring to, with this maker mark, is on an A/A version of the rare The Honourable Artillery Company (TA) (Infantry - WO1, Staff Sergeants and Sergeants) cap badge.

Regards

Chris

54Bty 07-09-14 10:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike H (Post 276463)
Yes Marc it is mine.

Wonderful.

Mike H 07-09-14 11:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 54Bty (Post 276484)
Wonderful.

Very pleased to find it Marc. Especially with the letter and sketch.

gus-gemma 08-09-14 02:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by William (Post 276456)

Best regards

William

I had 1 sold it in my collection also know where there is another 1 in a collection Richard

ukbrits 26-02-21 12:13 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Hi Gents,
Here's another only 4 more to find now?
Regards
Colin

William 26-02-21 04:56 PM

If I hadn't seen this with my own eyes, I wouldn't have believed it!

Congratulations, Colin! Very well done indeed!

Welcome to the club! 😊😊😊

William