British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Cavalry and Armoured Units (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=40)
-   -   sweet Calgary Tanks (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=20933)

DavidS 16-11-11 01:25 AM

sweet Calgary Tanks

2 Attachment(s)
Here's a sweet little oddity from today's mail: reversed metal Calgary Tanks that someone has very carefully silver, and I think, gold plated to 'correct' the badge. Only the highlights on the crown, leaves and flowers, and the unicorn and bull fronts have been silver plated, and the shield, scroll and halo overlays are either gold plated or have been replaced with brass pieces (I don't think I want to scratch through one to find out). Back view shows the untouched brass base. Much, much prettier in hand than in the scanner glare. I'm a happy little collector today :D

WJ Miller 16-11-11 01:59 AM

!?

Interesting badge David! Nice find... any background on where/who it came from or another one of countless orphan badges?

DavidS 16-11-11 05:08 AM

Just another nameless orphan unfortunately. I'll ask the seller, but I don't hold out much hope beyond 'found in a house clearance' or some such.

appie_b 16-11-11 08:02 AM

very nice badge David.

Do you know what the story is behind the reverse colored Calgary regt. badges?

i have heard two stories about this; 1 they were made like this by mistake and 2 they are an earlier version and used before they became a tank regt.

Albert.

DavidS 16-11-11 03:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by appie_b (Post 142321)
very nice badge David.

Do you know what the story is behind the reverse colored Calgary regt. badges?

i have heard two stories about this; 1 they were made like this by mistake and 2 they are an earlier version and used before they became a tank regt.

Albert.

Nothing definitive that I know of. I've just heard they are an error. Apparently all are from Birks, although not all are maker marked.

As a Calgary Tanks error aside, there are King's Own Calgary Regiment QC badges which are gun metal grey with brass gilt overlays. I've heard a story that these are also errors, because a tarnished badge was sent for duplication and the maker matched the colour of the tarnished metal instead of making the base piece white metal.

DavidS 17-11-11 06:00 AM

Curiouser and curiouser. Turns out, after some judicious investigating, that this badge is all brass. The three overlay pieces are solid brass as well as the base, and not plated.

Wyn vdSchee 18-11-11 08:37 PM

KOCalgR Officers' badge

David S., the story is not just an urban myth. The silver bits on the sample sent to the manufacturer were tarnished, and that is exactly how the badges came to the Regiment. The error occurred under the aegis of one of my successors as CO (I retired in 1982) and I do not believe the error was ever corrected.

SRDJUG 21-02-18 09:21 PM

Calgary Tank Reverse Metals Cap Badge

1 Attachment(s)
This one is listed in Brooker Volume 1 and the 1927 reverse metals badge...

fearnaught 03-12-19 12:08 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Hi, I picked up these two Calgary Reg. badges over the week-end. Does anyone have any information on them, thanks in advance Mike

fearnaught 07-12-19 07:49 AM

Hi, I was curious if anyone had had any positive ideas on these badges over the intervening years. The past posts on these badges all seem inconclusive. The white metal badge without overlay seems very bright compared to the badges with overlay, possibly a different metal? The reverse metal badge is what it is, but what is that? More in hope than expectation, best wishes Mike