Small collection of Native Military Corps items

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Small collection of Native Military Corps items

Across the years I have put together a small collection of Native Military Corps cap badges (but I find that Owen refers to them as Non-European Army Services: is there a reason for these two different names?): a bronze cap badge, a bronze cap or collar badge, a brass sand cast badge surmounted by crown that Owen described as "unofficial worn during Second World War.I have added a Non European Military Police Arm Band to the lot.
    Attached Files

Originally posted by loupie1961 View Post
    ... Owen refers to them as Non-European Army Services: is there a reason for these two different names?
    'Non-European Auxiliary Services' was the collective name for the Native Military Corps, the Cape Corps, and the short-lived Indian & Malay Corps.
    Regards

Arthur

Comment

Originally posted by Arthur R View Post
      'Non-European Auxiliary Services' was the collective name for the Native Military Corps, the Cape Corps, and the short-lived Indian & Malay Corps.
      Thank you, Arthur!

Comment

Originally posted by loupie1961 View Post
        Across the years I have put together a small collection of Native Military Corps cap badges (but I find that Owen refers to them as Non-European Army Services: is there a reason for these two different names?): a bronze cap badge, a bronze cap or collar badge, a brass sand cast badge surmounted by crown that Owen described as "unofficial worn during Second World War.I have added a Non European Military Police Arm Band to the lot.
        Loupie

Nice NEMP armband, those must be quite rare, never seen one.

Brian

Comment

Originally posted by Brian Conyngham View Post
          Loupie

Nice NEMP armband, those must be quite rare, never seen one.

Brian
          Well, Brian, it is one of those items not even the seller knows much about: so I managed to buy it at a relatively low price, for that. I guess that NE Military Policemen would have worn Native Military Corps or Cape Corps cap badges and titles instead of SAMP?

Comment

There's a photo on an unofficial SACMP website that includes "non European " MPs unfortunately can't make out the badges as not a hi resolution image

Comment

Originally posted by milhistry View Post
              There's a photo on an unofficial SACMP website that includes "non European " MPs unfortunately can't make out the badges as not a hi resolution image
              Now, that's a pity! Thank you su much! Is there a link to that pic I could follow?

Comment

http://home.mweb.co.za/re/redcap/newinsig.htm

Comment

While still serving I had reason to go to the SACMP offices at VTH as the unit had vacated the premises and had left some paperwork lying around that needed disposal. While mooching around I came across the same pattern armband and storm (small) size flag lying in a desk draw. They have been in the collection ever since!
                  Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                  X