Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

SATC

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    #16
    Mike, super collection. Thank you for sharing. I'm still struggling to find anything more from the papers at Kew re the WWII Tank Diabolo colour of the 21st Army Tank Brigade. Some believe yellow, then blue and then the Gremlin version. Other believe the "yellow" to be an error and that it was only ever blue and then the Gremlin version. I'll keep at it!

    Comment


      #17
      Originally posted by Frank Kelley View Post
      !
      Yes, I'm from Barthelona...

      Comment


        #18
        Hi Iain, does your cap badge on the top row have a blackened back? in other words has it worn away from the front? Which brings me back to the question, was matt black/brown paint applied in the field to replace the finish as it doesn't seem to be very resistant to wear? Nice collection, best wishes Mike

        Comment


          #19
          Hi Mike,
          no the cap badge is brass on the back, but the collars have been chrome blackened.
          Thanks and best wishes

          Iain

          Originally posted by fearnaught View Post
          Hi Iain, does your cap badge on the top row have a blackened back? in other words has it worn away from the front? Which brings me back to the question, was matt black/brown paint applied in the field to replace the finish as it doesn't seem to be very resistant to wear? Nice collection, best wishes Mike
          C'est magnifique, mais ce n'est pas la guerre

          Comment


            #20
            Hi, had a bit of a Southern African bonanza this weekend. Like everything this raises more questions. I obtained a chromed cap badge to go with my 1st pattern voided collar. It shows signs of wear so presumably chromed at a latter time, which raises the question when was this done? Most of the voided ME manufactured badges I have or seen have had a silver wash. Next, have I been extremely lucky to find separately a matched set or were these part of a production run of badges chromed, maybe regimentally? My other SA find was a IV A/C badge which I've included a photo of as I like it. The other bits were a SRACR cast brass badge and the same badge in A/A with Selous Scouts scroll. Incidentally I'm still hoping for answers to the first post, I live ever in hope best wishes Mike
            Attached Files

            Comment


              #21
              Mike,

              well done in finding the 4th SA ACR badge, very scarce.

              Coincidentally there is a beret and collars set for sale on Bidorbuy
              https://www.bidorbuy.co.za/item/4080...1940_1941.html

              regards, lain
              C'est magnifique, mais ce n'est pas la guerre

              Comment


                #22
                Originally posted by fearnaught View Post
                Hi, had a bit of a Southern African bonanza this weekend. Like everything this raises more questions. I obtained a chromed cap badge to go with my 1st pattern voided collar. It shows signs of wear so presumably chromed at a latter time, which raises the question when was this done? Most of the voided ME manufactured badges I have or seen have had a silver wash. Next, have I been extremely lucky to find separately a matched set or were these part of a production run of badges chromed, maybe regimentally? My other SA find was a IV A/C badge which I've included a photo of as I like it. The other bits were a SRACR cast brass badge and the same badge in A/A with Selous Scouts scroll. Incidentally I'm still hoping for answers to the first post, I live ever in hope best wishes Mike
                Never seen a facing pair of the cloth patches, they always seem to have worn a single one on the right arm. Nice!

                Comment


                  #23
                  You may find this article of use. I drew it up some time after discovering the original order in the SA Army Archives to oxidise SA badges in 1938. I have used the SACS badges as an example of the different metals some SA badges were made in.
                  Attached Files

                  Comment


                    #24
                    Have attached scans of the two pages in the hope that they will be more readable.
                    Attached Files

                    Comment


                      #25
                      Mike. Here are the cards on the Rhodesian Armoured units. Hope they are of use. Kind regards. Dudley
                      Attached Files

                      Comment


                        #26
                        Hi Dudley, thank you for very informative pieces, great help, best wishes Mike

                        Comment


                          #27
                          Hi all, not sure if this is the right place, but just received "The Black Beret" 2 volume history of SA Armoured Forces by W. Steenkamp. The reason for mentioning it is that "the Naval & Military Press Ltd" are selling them for the princely sum of 6.39 plus postage. Hope no one is offended but it seemed a very good offer, best wishes Mike

                          Comment


                            #28
                            Originally posted by fearnaught View Post
                            Hi all, not sure if this is the right place, but just received "The Black Beret" 2 volume history of SA Armoured Forces by W. Steenkamp. The reason for mentioning it is that "the Naval & Military Press Ltd" are selling them for the princely sum of 6.39 plus postage. Hope no one is offended but it seemed a very good offer, best wishes Mike
                            Mike, a mate of mine in the UK sent me a set for my 60th in February, "a must have" I would say for the armour guys!

                            A total bargain price.

                            Brian

                            Comment


                              #29
                              Originally posted by Madziro View Post
                              Have attached scans of the two pages in the hope that they will be more readable.
                              Thanks Dudley, this is really interesting. Of course the "bronzing of badges" later even went as far as the citizen force units. That was some foresight being implemented in 1938, obviously the writing was on the wall. It is just a pity the rearming of the UDF was so far behind at the start of WW2. Took them a long time to catch up, was all political back then.... lets not go there!

                              Brian

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X