Suffolk Yeomanry Pill Box Hat.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Suffolk Yeomanry Pill Box Hat.

This has a lot of age related wear and part of the sweat band is missing as is the leather strap. As far as I can tell from a trawl of the internet it was worn by soldiers of the Suffolk Yeomanry. it was made by Hobson and Sons, Lexington Street, Golden? Square, London.

It might be offered for sale.
    Attached Files

Nice cap, good you were able to id it.
    Regards,

Jerry

Comment

Cracking pillbox cap.
      Andy
      Leave to carry on Sir please.

Comment

Originally posted by JBBOND View Post
        Nice cap, good you were able to id it.
        I am not 100% sure that I have. There is a photograph of a similar cap on the internet that is described as Suffolk Yeomanry. However, the pill pox caps for the Suffolk Yeomanry illustrated in the Uniformology web site are different.

https://www.solent-saddlery.com/Victorian.html

Scroll down to the late Victorian section.

Comment

Originally posted by grenadierguardsman View Post
          Cracking pillbox cap.
          Andy
          Thank you, it is original but it needs some partial restoration.

Comment

Originally posted by High Wood View Post
            I am not 100% sure that I have. There is a photograph of a similar cap on the internet that is described as Suffolk Yeomanry. However, the pill pox caps for the Suffolk Yeomanry illustrated in the Uniformology web site are different.

https://www.solent-saddlery.com/Victorian.html

Scroll down to the late Victorian section.
            I find these are a minefield to id 100%, that said if try coloured fs caps, they are often not exactly matching in any of the literature....
            Regards,

Jerry

Comment

It might be Loyal Suffolk Hussars but that pattern was also worn by a number of Hussar Regiments. However as a Hobson & Son marked product, and without WD or clothing factory markings, Yeomanry may be more likely.

Tim
              "Manui dat cognitio vires - Knowledge gives strength to the arm"
              "Better to know it but not need it than to need it and not know it!"

Comment

Originally posted by grey_green_acorn View Post
                It might be Loyal Suffolk Hussars but that pattern was also worn by a number of Hussar Regiments. However as a Hobson & Son marked product, and without WD or clothing factory markings, Yeomanry may be more likely.

Tim
                Many thanks, it definitely seems to be a privately purchased rather than an issued item. Having said that, any WD or clothing factory stamps are most likely to have been on the leather sweatband which is largely missing.

Comment

Working...
                X