Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do you have a keen eye?

Hello all,

Have a look at the picture of this 1st Can Para veteran and tell me what you see out of place with this medal group.

Cheers
    Attached Files
    Iím always interested in purchasing 1st Canadian Parachute Battalion memorabilia.

Hi,

No Defence Medal after 39-45 Star?

Clay

Comment

The Canadian Service Medal (second medal) is mounted in the wrong place

Comment

Originally posted by CB101 View Post
        The Canadian Service Medal (second medal) is mounted in the wrong place
        Most of them are!

Comment

Is it something to do with the fourth medal? which unfortunately i don't recognise - Regards Mark

Comment

India Service Medal?
            Simon Butterworth

Manchester Regiment Collector
            Rank, Prize & Trade Badges
            British & Commonwealth Artillery Badges

Comment

A very odd group for Canadian Airborne?

1939-45 Star
              Canadian Volunteer Service Medal with Overseas clasp
              War Medal 1939-45 - presumably Canadian issue
              India War Service Medal 1939-45
              Canadian Fire Services Exemplary Service Medal and Bar (30 years' service)

The last one stumps me - possibly a Canadian provincial award.

Surprised not to see a France & Germany Star to the Canadian airborne - and they didn't serve in India...

Comment

Thanks Staffsyeoman, not seen one before (WW2 India Service Medal) that is. The last one is a Fire Long Service medal. So this guy must have a story to tell, having possibly served most of the war in India? and possibly as part of the Indian Army at some stage?
                With that info, can't see an immediate issue with the 'order of wear' but happy to learn if not. Regards Mark

Comment

Originally posted by manchesters View Post
                  India Service Medal?
                  Correct, it's hard to make out the actual medal, however the ribbon is distinguishable. Awarded to Indian Forces for 3 years non-operational service in India during WW2.

Picture courtesy of wiki.
                  Attached Files
                  Iím always interested in purchasing 1st Canadian Parachute Battalion memorabilia.

Comment

Hi

The last one is an Ontario Fire Services Long Service Medal.

The CVSM is correctly placed but odd there is no campaign star after the 39-45 Star. It needed 6 mos active operational service and the other stars usually needed less.... or the 39-45 Star earned first. Odd but not impossible. Defence Medal for Canadians was usually 6 mos in Britain but one year in say, Newfoundland or even some parts of the Indian sub-continent. I could not begin the try and rationalize the India Service Medal. Radar Operator?? He may not have been 1 Can Para or even Cdn Infantry until the very end of the war. No jumps, no fights? I dunno.

Quite a group of medals. Do you know any more about this man?

regards
                    Darrell
                    "Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor?"

Comment

Originally posted by Darrell View Post
                      Hi

The last one is an Ontario Fire Services Long Service Medal.

The CVSM is correctly placed but odd there is no campaign star after the 39-45 Star. It needed 6 mos active operational service and the other stars usually needed less.... or the 39-45 Star earned first. Odd but not impossible. Defence Medal for Canadians was usually 6 mos in Britain but one year in say, Newfoundland or even some parts of the Indian sub-continent. I could not begin the try and rationalize the India Service Medal. Radar Operator?? He may not have been 1 Can Para or even Cdn Infantry until the very end of the war. No jumps, no fights? I dunno.

Quite a group of medals. Do you know any more about this man?

regards
                      Darrell
                      Thanks for chiming in with some good points Darrell.

The picture of this veteran was taken recently and posted in a private group. His medals caught my eye, so I looked him up on the nominal roll, he graduated from Shilo on 29 May 1944. The records don't show him going overseas. That being said, I don't have his official service records so who knows.

Cheers
                      Last edited by cw2311; Today, 01:22 AM.

Comment

Working...
                      X