Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WWII WRNS ROYAL MARINES CAP

HI Guys
    I purchased this very nice WWII WRNS cap today as you will see its a bit diffrent was the former owner attached to the royal marines depot ? any idears / thoughts are welcome there are a lot of signatures and 1 is dated 13/8/44 steve
    Attached Files
    Last edited by ASR142; 11-02-12, 06:46 PM.
    Quote from my daughter
    I am not worried about the future as it distracts me from the present !!

MINE
    The answers are out there its a mater of doing the detective work to get them !

Driver

How about her being a driver to senior RM officer perhaps?
    Ray

Comment

Originally posted by Ray6930 View Post
      How about her being a driver to senior RM officer perhaps?
      Ray
      hi Ray
      that's a new idear taht had not crossed my mind !! cheers steve
      Quote from my daughter
      I am not worried about the future as it distracts me from the present !!

MINE
      The answers are out there its a mater of doing the detective work to get them !

Comment

Hi Steve

Any WRNS attached to the marines put the Royal Marine badge on her cap a little later 1960's they put the cap tally Royal Marines Unit on instead.

David

Comment

Originally posted by DAVID B HOWELL View Post
          Hi Steve

Any WRNS attached to the marines put the Royal Marine badge on her cap a little later 1960's they put the cap tally Royal Marines Unit on instead.

David
          Hi, I think it was later than the 1960s! When I was serving in the 1980s I saw lots of wrens with the red tombstone and globe and laural on their caps at CTC lympstone, RMB eastney, HMS Nelson and RMB Stonehouse and as a sea cadet remember seeing them around portsmouth in the 1970's. The first time I saw any wrens (and MA(Q)'s) wearing the Royal Marines Unit cap tally was in the mid 1990's.

Regards Tony

Comment

Originally posted by sailorbear View Post
            Hi, I think it was later than the 1960s! When I was serving in the 1980s I saw lots of wrens with the red tombstone and globe and laural on their caps at CTC lympstone, RMB eastney, HMS Nelson and RMB Stonehouse and as a sea cadet remember seeing them around portsmouth in the 1970's. The first time I saw any wrens (and MA(Q)'s) wearing the Royal Marines Unit cap tally was in the mid 1990's.

Regards Tony
            Hi Tony

Royal Marines Unit cap tallies were introduced wef 1/5/68 (DC) (RN) 451/1968.

Regards David

Comment

Originally posted by DAVID B HOWELL View Post
              Hi Tony

Royal Marines Unit cap tallies were introduced wef 1/5/68 (DC) (RN) 451/1968.

Regards David
              Hi David, thats interesting and no doubt totally correct! But I certainly never saw any Royal Marines unit cap tallies worn by any naval female member until the mid 1990's and after the WRNS was absorbed into the RN and M.A,(Q)s became part of the mainstream RN and not the QARNNS, the red tombstone/globe and laural was definately being worn in the 1970's and 80's! Maybe it was introduced in the 1960's for male RN ratings attached to the corps and later adopted by all when females were fully intergrated into the Royal Navy?

Regards Tony

Comment

My aunty was a wren and attached Bletchley park during ww2 and we possess a photo wearing beret and royal marine cap badge

Comment

Donít know if this is of any use my aunt was a wren during ww2 posted to Bletchley park and we have a photo of her wearing beret with Royal Marines cap badge

Comment

WWII WRNS Royal Marines Cap

Just to confirm what has already been said.

Members of the Women's Royal Naval Service attached to the Royal Marines as office and administrative staff did not wear the 'ROYAL MARINES UNIT' cap ribbon introduced on 1st May 1968. The 'Marine Attached WRNS' (popularly known as Mawrens or Marens) wore the Corps' Globe-and-Laurel cap badge on a red oval backing on WRNS headgear. This was worn from WWII (when the first WRNS were assigned to serve with the Royal Marines) onwards.

When the WRNS was formally integrated into the Royal Navy on 1st November 1993 female ratings adopted the 'ROYAL MARINES UNIT' cap ribbon.

Pete

Comment

Originally posted by John breckon View Post
                      My aunty was a wren and attached Bletchley park during ww2 and we possess a photo wearing beret and royal marine cap badge
                      John
                      Be nice to see the image
                      Thanks
                      John

Comment

A wartime photo of it being worn

Jon
                        Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                        X