The Scout Badge

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Scout Badge

A nice portrait of a regimental scout, from his cap badge serving with the Royal Wiltshire Yeomanry although his shoulder title - in spite of my scanner's best efforts, illegible - appears to be straight and not curved which is what I would have expected.

The superb cloth example was recently sold at auction for a considerable sum.

Comments welcome.

Jon
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Postwarden; 04-09-17, 10:41 AM.

The heading is possibly misleading but I'm surprised that I've not had any views of this great photo.

Jon

Comment

Originally posted by Postwarden View Post
      The heading is possibly misleading but I'm surprised that I've not had any views of this great photo.

Jon
      Jon,

You're right, it IS a great photo, and thanks for posting. You have had at least 35 views though... me included (twice )

Views.jpg

I've been looking for a couple of my own to add to the thread, but this job/work malarkey cuts right into your day

Cheers,

JT

Comment

Not quite as spectacular as the example in your pic, but here is one of mine:

(The S/T appears to be T/6/MIDDLESEX).

Thanks again,

JT

Comment

Perhaps the title is hidden by the cap's chin strap in the first photo hence the straight s/t.

Comment

Leeds Rifles:

Comment

Interesting that someone would pay "a considerable sum" for what I believe is a private purchase tailor's worsted version, however nice.

From the 1906/7 RACD ledgers, and from PVCN 1907, Clothing Regs 1909, 1911 PVCN, 1913 PVCN, 1914 Clothing Regs, and 1915 PVCN the four scout badges [large with bar, large, small with bar, and small] are only described as "brass" or "gilding metal" or "metal". , There were lots of worsted ones around and [tellingly] lots of worsted variations of course. The Gamages demi-official list of c. 1917 has both worsted and brass versions for private purchase.

If any reader has proof of official issue in worsted I would be most grateful to add it to my data base. Until such time, I have logged the above badge as a very nice "not Ordnance" version.

Comment

Originally posted by Postwarden View Post
                A nice portrait of a regimental scout, from his cap badge serving with the Royal Wiltshire Yeomanry although his shoulder title - in spite of my scanner's best efforts, illegible - appears to be straight and not curved which is what I would have expected.

The superb cloth example was recently sold at auction for a considerable sum.

Comments welcome.

Jon
                Westlake has a straight RWY title listed.

Marc
                I am still looking for the Army Formation sleeve badges from the Sultanate of Oman.

Comment

Originally posted by grumpy View Post
                  Interesting that someone would pay "a considerable sum" for what I believe is a private purchase tailor's worsted version, however nice.

From the 1906/7 RACD ledgers, and from PVCN 1907, Clothing Regs 1909, 1911 PVCN, 1913 PVCN, 1914 Clothing Regs, and 1915 PVCN the four scout badges [large with bar, large, small with bar, and small] are only described as "brass" or "gilding metal" or "metal". , There were lots of worsted ones around and [tellingly] lots of worsted variations of course. The Gamages demi-official list of c. 1917 has both worsted and brass versions for private purchase.

If any reader has proof of official issue in worsted I would be most grateful to add it to my data base. Until such time, I have logged the above badge as a very nice "not Ordnance" version.
                  I remain hopeful that someone can demonstrate that a worsted version was official issue. Please.

Comment

There is a great amount to be learnt from these period photos.

Here is my contribution to the thread. I did show it before, but it drew very little interest for some reason. A nice study of a Norfolk Regiment Lance Corporal wearing the "worsted" type of scouts badge.

I hope it is of some interest,

Andy
                    Last edited by Nozzer; 08-02-18, 02:55 PM.

Comment

Is that a "Norfolk" shoulder title worn with the R Norfolk cap badge?

Comment

Originally posted by leigh kitchen View Post
                        Is that a "Norfolk" shoulder title worn with the R Norfolk cap badge?
                        No, it is a "Norfolk" shoulder title worn with a Norfolk OSD pattern cap badge for some reason The picture dates from the great war period.

Comment

Originally posted by Nozzer View Post
                          There is a great amount to be learnt from these period photos.

Here is my contribution to the thread. I did show it before, but it drew very little interest for some reason. A nice study of a Norfolk Regiment Lance Corporal wearing the "worsted" type of scouts badge.

I hope it is of some interest,

Andy
                          A fine example, and it would be good to find a handle to date the photo.

Comment

While not officially approved, I like the cloth version.
                            Attached Files
                            Wanted:

--WW II crystal clear Home Front studio portraits. Particularly interested in NFS and Home Guard portraits. Bonus paid for a NFS studio portrait with a numbered helmet being worn.

--WW II crystal clear Australian, British, Canadian and New Zealand patched studio portraits.

Comment

Could someone please outline what a regimental scout is/was and what they did?

With thanks,

JT

Comment

Working...
                              X