Over a portcullis the shield of the royal arms of the United Kingdom with a Victorian crown above. This example 23.4mm diameter in white metal. Maker mark: Samuel Brothers Ld. London.
Originally formed as the 22nd (Queen’s) Rifle Volunteers in 1860. Renumbered the 13th in 1880, shortly thereafter being allocated to the King’s Royal Rifle Corps as a Volunteer Battalion. Became the 16th (County of London) Battalion, The London Regiment in 1908.
See Westlake R. The Rifle Volunteers (1982)
Ripley, H., Darmanin D., Rifle Volunteer Buttons 1859-1908 (MHS Special Number )